Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Kawasaki mule..the fuel pump and the pump relay..getting power

Customer Question
I have a kawasaki mule...
I have a kawasaki mule 2510. I replaced the fuel pump and the pump relay. I'm still not getting power to the pump. I can crank the starter just no power to the pump. Maybe the switch? Thanks, Bill
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
8/4/2009
Motorcycle Mechanic: Ski Doctor, powersports repair specialist replied 8 years ago
Ski Doctor
Ski Doctor, powersports repair specialist

when you inspect the fuel pump relay, when you turn the kay on it should get power from the fuse. the fuse gets power through the key switch and main fuse.

the next step in this diagnosis would be to check the voltage and where it is lost. if you follow the wires from the relay, it should lead to the fuse. do you get any voltage in the fuse? turn kay on, and get a multimeter with volts DC setting(i recommend an autoranging, but if it is not then we can set it to 20 volts or 50 volts dc setting.

so with the multimeter(you need a multimeter so you can see if the voltage is too low, a test light will light up, and may be dim if voltage is low but the meter will be accurate) put one lead on ground, turn key on and check all the fuses, both sides to see if power goes through them.

if you get no power, other then the main fuse, check the ignition switch to see if you get power into and out of the key switch. once power leaves the key switch it will power all the other fuses

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I have not had time to try your suggestion today but will work on it tommorrow. Can I still converse with you then if I accept now?

yes, just make sure you dont leave the question open for over 2-3 days.

after you start checking the bike, ask questions and i will help you out. make sure you ask them on this same page, so i can stay with you

Hello Ski Doctor, back on it this afternoon. The starter will crank and if I squirt fuel into the carb it will start. It is showing a low voltage 5-7V at the fuel pump connection. Shouldn't it be 12V? Thanks, Bill

yes, voltage at the pump needs to be 12 volts, unless it is a 6 volt pump(it will say on the pump body)

so that means the power wire for the pump is loosing voltage. you can ohm test the wires for the pump, and follow them where they go. test the voltage at the fuel pump fuse and see if it has 12v at the fuse

Ski Doctor

Thanks for the reply, out of time today but will try again tommorrow. Probably corrosion in one of the bullet connectors.

you can ohm test the wire from the fuel pump to the fuse and make sure you get 0 ohm. if you get a high number, then there is a loose connect or bad wire.
Ski Doctor
Ski Doctor