Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have 1983 honda 70 atc i change contact breaker and condesor

no fire but if i...
I have 1983 honda 70 atc i change contact breaker and condesor no fire but if i turn it over by hand hold black wire i get shocked where does green wire form stator hook to what about neutral wire
5/21/2009
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

You may have to increase the gap of the contact points (breaker) as it would appear that the spark is weak. The dark green wire from the stator as well as the green wire from the neutral switch goes to an open (unused connector). For an 83 ATC70 they are not connected to anything.

Hope that this be of help / idea. Good luck and thank you for using JustAnswer.
Louie, Technician
i set the contact as describe in manual i thought it might be ground problem or maybe the copper coils where bad i will go try to increase gap
Appreciate the postback and would look forward to further updates.

Incidentally, the wiring diagram is below should you be interested.

graphic
still no luck if i pull it or no fire if i pull it over and touch dark green and black fire how would you set points?
Rotating the magneto, there would be a timing mark at which the points would also open. Gap should be something like 0.015 of an inch.

The dark green when rotating would of course have voltage. In some versions / models, this would be powering the lights.

Looking over the diagram again, the exciter coil, the condenser and the points are all wired in parallel. Best test would be to check for the presence or absence of voltage on the black wire going to 1 terminal of the ignition coil on starting.
does the on off switch have be wired in to get spark?
No, the on/off switch is not needed to have spark. Its function is to switch OFF the system by grounding the black wire.
does it make difference where wires go on condesenor?
it seems like grouding problem
The condenser, the exciter coil and the points are all wired in parallel:
  • on condenser with a single wire, the body is connected to the ground while the wire is to the moving part of the contact point or externally, to the terminal of the coil that the black wire connects to;
  • on condensers with 2 wires, 1 is connected to the ground and the other to the moving part of the contact point or externally, to the terminal of the coil that the black wire connects to.
I'm not sure where ground is there is a long ear and short ear on condenser i have the left copper coil hook to short one and the contact breaker and other copper coil hook to long one?

I'm not sure where ground is there is a long ear and short ear on condenser i have the left copper coil hook to short one and the contact breaker and other copper coil hook to long one? plus when ifirst put it all back together i did have spark it was red bike did not start backfire only

The ground is any metal part of the engine or chassis / frame;
  • 1 end of the coil is connected to the ground;
  • the long ear and the short ear as long as metal and therefore part of the body of the condenser goes to the ground;
  • the fixed part of the breaker is screwed to the ground;
  • the single wire of the condenser, the moving part of the breaker and the other end of the coil are all tied together and is connected by a black wire to 1 terminal of the ignition coil;
  • the other terminal of the ignition coil is connected to the ground.
i check with testor from contact breaker to black wire that feeds coil there are no breaks what about copper coils could it be grounding out? i'm getting frustarted
I understand that you have a tester. There should be pulsating voltage on the black wire when pull started. Check for its presence or absence.

If none, temporarily remove the condenser and try again.

If still none, remove the black wire connection to the ignition coil and try again.

If still none, remove connection of coil to movable part of contact point. Check continuity of coil to ground & movable part of breaker to ground.
nothing seems to work maybe i should just buy new stator
The exciter coil could be tested. As long as there are no burned marks, does not test short or open, then it is still functional. It would read low ohmage but not zero.

Pls click here for an animation of how the system generally works. In your particular model, there is no battery and instead, the exciter coil is used to supply the power.
Louie, Technician