Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

grinding when placing shifter in forward...1200 miles..bike…

Customer Question
grinding when placing shifter in...
grinding when placing shifter in forward. Have a 2007 Rincon with 1200 miles. Also bike is cold blooded. Starting at 30 degrees or below is a 50% chance of starting.
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/29/2009
Motorcycle Mechanic: Eric, Technician replied 13 years ago
Eric, Technician
hello
the grinding you are hearing is a symptom of a worn sub trans gear or a un adjusted shift cable. a shift cable that is left out of adjustment and shifted ito a grind a few times will start to wear on that sub trans gear and cause the grinding to happen more frequent and easier.
you can have the shift cable adjusted to where it shifts evenly between forward and reverse. but if this does not cure the problem the sub trans gear needs to be replaced.
this is really common, and you may even be able to get this replaced for free at your local honda dealership. there seems to be an issue with the sub trans gear in some of these. but you didnt hear that from me ;).
as far as the cold starting. these can be cold blooded. but in the winter a good clean spark plug can make the difference. if the atv doesnt get used to full warm up temps all the time the plug will foul slightly and make the next cold start harder to accomplish.
hope this helps. let me know if i can be further assistance. thank you.