Mrmocycle
Mrmocycle, Technician
Experience:  Honda Bronze Certfied, Yamaha 5 Star Certified, Suzuki Exp. Kaw Exp. Now own Succesful Shop
11958453

2005 Honda: wont fire..Start, restart 10x untill engine kept running

my 2005 Honda Reflex won't fire up after being stored for 10 month. Last year it gave me a hard time firing up. Start, restart 10x untill engine kept running.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Mrmocycle replied 8 years ago.

Good Evening, Was the machine stored properly, what I mean by that is did you top off fuel tank, add fuel stable, drain float bowl on carb, keep battery on a battery tender? Most of the time when we see this problem the carb is plugged up with varnished fuel. In which case the carb will need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned. I would also charge and have your battery load tested to be sure its pushing enough voltage. I will be happy to assist and give thorough instructions on how to clean carb. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks look forward in hearing back from you. Mrmocycle

If you are satisfied with information provided please click Accept button. I can still assist after payment has been made. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

properly stored Yes

stable in tank Yes

drain float bowl on carb NO, don't know how to do

battery tender Yes

Let me know how I can clean the carb as it is hidden.

Expert:  Mrmocycle replied 8 years ago.

Hello again, Ok so I can almost guarantee the carb is your problem because even after putting fuel stable in system it does not always keep the carb from getting varnished up. Thats why draining the float bowl is good insurance from having this issue in the future. Now as far as cleaning the carb its pretty straight forward, basic hand tools, good quality carb cleaner, air compressor, possible carb jet probing tool.

Remove seat and the carb will be located toward the back of the machine, the airbox tube and clamps will need to be removed, then remove the throttle cable, unplug the choke, then unhook fuel line, leave breather tubes that are part of the carb on the carb when you remove it. Once carb is off, look at the float bowl there you will see a flathead screw loosen this so that the fuel drains out. This is the same screw you will want to use when you store the machine, there should be an access point from the outside of machine so you will not have to remove carb to store it. Next remove the float bowl, float and float needle and pin. Then remove all jets, use your carb cleaner and thoroughly clean the carb passages and jets, if its really bad you may have to soak it for awhile in a carb solution. Next use your air compressor and blow out the carb and the jets, look threw the jets and make sure you can see threw them and no holes are plugged, pay close attention to the small pilot jet. Install everything in reverse order and you should be running like new again. While you are in there check fuel flow just to be sure its getting sufficiant amount of fuel to carb. Replace spark plug. If you need any assistance during or after just let me know. Thanks and Good Luck, Mrmocycle

If you are satisfied with information provided please click Accept button. We do not get paid for our time unless Accept option is made. I can still assist you after payment has been made. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'll see if I can take it off. Crazy place!

last question. Carb has an auto choke. Can this have caused the problem that firing up last year gave me a hard time as I has to restart 10x when cold before engine kept on running

Expert:  Mrmocycle replied 8 years ago.

Hello, Yes its in kind of a tough place, but theres models that are 10 times worse to get to. I suggest inspecting the electronic choke, you can also test the resistance on it, We have seen them fail before. This could also cause starting issues, if it seems to get better when the machine gets to operating temp then your choke is most likely not working. Thoroughly check it all,connections, resistance, carb, ect.. Replace choke if needed. If you need further assistance let me know. Thanks, Mrmocycle

If you are satisfied with information provided please click Accept button. We do not get paid for our time unless Accept option is made. I can still assist after payment has been made. Thanks for using Jsut Anwer!