Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 98 Yamaha Vmax XTC 700 with 4600miles. The clutch

Customer Question
squels at idle, they tell...
I have a 98 Yamaha Vmax XTC 700 with 4600miles. The clutch squels at idle, they tell me the secondary clutch needs adjustments, how is that accomlished.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Motorcycle
1/3/2009
Motorcycle Mechanic: Ski Doctor, powersports repair specialist replied 9 years ago
Ski Doctor
Ski Doctor, powersports repair specialist

when "they" refer to the secondary clutch, it might be the hydraulic clutch cylinder. make sure the left master cyl. on the handlebars if full of new, clean fluid and crack the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder.make sure you pump the clutch lever a few times to build pressure, then while you hold the lever crack the bleeder screw for about 1/2 second. that is how you adjust the clutch secondary cylinder.

if your clutch clips at all or feels like the engine revs without the bike moving it may be time to inspect the clutch behine the right engine cover. if you do remove the clutch cover be sure to drain engine oil first and look for dark color and a burning smell. if it smells like burnt oil, it's probably time for a clutch

Motorcycle Mechanic: ...., .... replied 9 years ago
....
...., ....
Sweet, you got one of those special edition hand clutch sleds they put out in 98?... lol..

Please ignore the ignorance of Ski Dictor. I'm not exactly sure how some of these experts get qualified to speak with anyone. There are some high quality sled techs here, please sit tight & hopefully someone will be able to get you going correctly.

My apologies, not enough info, this is a 98 yamaha 3 cyl 2 stroke 700cc snowmobile. It has one drive belt running from the primary clutch at the drive shaft to a secondary high speed clutch on the rabbit shaft which drives the transmission, forward/reverse, then to the track drive. Both clutches are centrifugal with no cables or anything manual . It appears the space or distance between the plates on the high speed clutch needs adjustment. The belt is suppose to ride slighly above the rim of the cluch. This one rides slightly lower then the rim, how do you adjust this space between plates on the larger high speed centrifical clutch.

Thanks Jim

This is a snowmoblie with a low and high speed centrifical clutches, belt driven, no manual anthing, all controlled by rpm on the engine. I need to know how to adjust the spacing of the two plates that makes up the high speed centrifical clutch.

Thanks Jim

excuse the "vmax" which is a motorcycle answer. although some "ignorance" is applied, common knowledge is still there.

you will need to inspect both front and rear clutches. look from the front or back to ensure that first off they are lined up. they should appear as if the belt goes straight forward and backward. if the belt is not straight, that would cause that squeal noise. if so, then you will need to shim the rear clutch, by either removing or adding shims, so the belt goes straight back or forward. if the belt is straight, you may need to dissasemble the clutches and clean them. when apart you will have to look for notches or obvious spots inside the sheaves where it looks like the belt would stick while trying to go up or down in it. you will have to blow off a lot of belt dust, which is normal to accumulate on the clutches.

i apologize for the answer from the other expert, please disreguard it.

Ski Doctor
Ski Doctor
Ski Doctor