Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ABS warning light comes on, along with the 4WD Lock warning…

Customer Question
ABS warning light comes...

ABS warning light comes on, along with the 4WD Lock warning light as well. Now when I try and pull my car out it says "slow down" and won't go faster than 3 MPH I've taken it to Mitsubishi they cost me $130 to diagnose it and gave me a $5,000 bill repair even though they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I'm so worried I have another year left of school I need my car for and I can't afford to buy a new car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS light, puts it on 4WD lock brake light will come on too sometimes It's a mess

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2009 Mitsubishi Outlander

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

Bought it to a Mitsubishi dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
5/31/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Did the dealer tell you what fault code number is ***** with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No they didn't they couldn't figure out whats wrong
I was reading possibly the CVT so the radiator needs to be fixed? and maybe fluid changed?
I cannot call at the moment

The abs and 4wd fault are going to be one component at fault causing both lights or messages to come on. They should have been able to read out the fault code set with this issue then diagnose from that code to pinpoint the fault. Now if there were several fault codes set this could make it difficult to diagnose in allot of cases.

If there were codes set for internal faults in the CVT transmission in allot of cases some of the parts in the transmission cannot be replaced separately and the CVT has to be replaced as an assembly. Then you would need to have the radiator cooler flushed or replaced.

So it is very possible that the CVT has to be replaced to resolve this issue here as well as the cooler flushed or replaced.

If there is any way you can get me the fault code numbers that they saw when they checked codes this will help. In a lot of cases, you can drive the vehicle to a local parts store and they can pull the fault codes for you at no charge. If you can get these code numbers this will help me better understand what is happening here and what may be at fault. But a new CVT with an install and a flush or cooler replacement can run around the cost they had quoted you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete