Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 outlander died while driving. cannot get a scan tool to…

Customer Question
2011 outlander died while...

2011 outlander died while driving. cannot get a scan tool to communicate with vehicle. Fuse 22 in engine compartment has a dead short. Any known concerns? Don't see anything obvious.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

For what?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't know if I am fixing it or if it something that's going to be beyond our capabilities at our shop. We are a ford dealer and this is an employees vehicle. Basically we have just done a visual inspection for obvious shorts and tried to scan the vehicle with 2 different scanners. There is power at the dlc but no communication,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We are basically just looking for known concerns so we can let the employee make the choice of how much he wants to spend.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Mitsubishi
5/25/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 26 days ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Fuse 22 powers the engine computer. If the engine computer has an internal short in it this will cause this fault and it would need to be replaced. If the wire leading from the fuse to the engine computer has a short in it this will also cause this issue. There are no known bulletins or related issues to this here, unfortunately.

But this will be either a short in the wiring leading from the engine computer or one of the engine sensors to the fuse or the engine computer itself. The fuse does power all engine sensors as well.

If it were mine I would myself check over all wiring in the engine area to see if any shorted wiring is found. Then from there, you would have to go through and unplug every engine sensor one at a time and install a new fuse to see if it shorts out. If you come across to where you have one sensor unplugged and the fuse does not short out then you know that sensor needs to be replaced. But if it leads to the computer as the cause this can be a pricey repair to have replaced and programmed as it may run over $500 to have done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
rear o2 sensor rubbed through shield on exhaust causing short,
Mitsubishi Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 22 days ago

That is great to hear the fault has been located.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete