Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It starts, runs fine a few minutes the starts missing and…

Customer Question
It starts, runs fine...

It starts, runs fine a few minutes the starts missing and stalls.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Cant get it to drive. It wont run long enough. It will stall at idle or while reving

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

No error codes at all. 2001 Eclipse GS 2.4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I have done a long list of things. This started after the change of timing belt. Its easier for you to make suggestions on what it could be than for me to list how much I have done.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of right now

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Mitsubishi
4/3/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 21 days ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Hello, I am Chris.

I am sorry I/we did not get you much much sooner. We were very busy today and could not keep up. I can not speak for the other techs here but I have helped over 90 customers in the past 24hours. I believe I can help you, but I am not sure you still need help after this long wait. If help is still needed, let me know.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I still am lost. Help me Obi Wan, your my only hope..

Has the fuel pressure been monitored before and during the stall to see if its maintaining?

Any codes stored?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
There have been no error codes. I have just replaced timing belts, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, coils, Plugs, IAC Valve, fuel return regulator, New fuel pump. Fuel pressure operates normally. When it runs, it runs very good. Only after a few minutes of running does it start to miss then really run bad then stall. It will start right up again, but if started immediately, will be the same rough running. If it sets for a few minutes, it will start fine and go through the whole drill again, The only error code I once received was cylinder misfire. but that only happened one time. I have tried to start it about 100 times.

I can not come up with a path to take at this point. I will opt out.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I'm shocked.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago
eric remington

he wants easy ones

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago

Hello I will help

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ill take all the help I can get. If it was an easy fix, why would I be asking for help?
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago

ok all engines need spark, fuel, fuel injection, spark, compression, and air...if you lack anything, at any time it will not work...ARe you a mechanic or is this your car

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I am both. A seasoned mechanic that has been working on and collecting cars for over 40 years. I am also a degreed Mechanical Engineer so I look at things from an engineering perspective as well. I have also owned this car since new. It has about 240k miles and I know every bit of its history.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago

my approach to solving issues of this nature is to monitor all the areas I just described. do you have a scanner. how old is battery are all connections clean and tight...sorry I have to ask...get me vin. mileage...these are good engines...as long as its not a 6 cylinder. ok maintenance oil and coolant full and clean. spark plugs fuel filter air filter good pcv valve no vacuum leaks timing belts all lined up correctly?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago

you will neeD (ATLEAST I WANT YOU TO HAVE LOL) spark testers, noid light type work best...meter logic probe to ck injectors fuel pressure gauge. DOES YOUR SCANNER HAVE DATASTREAM

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago

SORRY NOTHING CAN BE ASSUMED IN DIAGNSOTICS....DOES IT EVER RUN JUST FINE?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thanks for a review of everything. I always helps to go step by step. Yes, it is an excellent engine. When it is running it is running perfect. Just for a few minutes. It started after I replaced the timing belts. The counter balance broke. Not the timing belt A. However both were changed. Yes they are lined up exactly. This is the 3rd timing belt change I have done on this car and never had an issue/ I have also have checked the alignment twice since this mystery started. The injectors are almost new. Working fine. Replaced fuel pump and verified it with fuel pressure tester. Yes, I have all the testing equipment you mentioned. My OBD meter doesn't have datastream. As I said, when it runs, its running great. No miss, not rough in any way. No indication at all there is a timing issue. It just goes to hell after a few minutes. It will restart immediately, just running badly until it stalls. When it is left for a few minutes, it starts right up, runs great for a few minutes then takes a dump.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
This message I sent earlier outlining what has been done:
There have been no error codes. I have just replaced timing belts, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, coils, Plugs, IAC Valve, fuel return regulator, New fuel pump. Fuel pressure operates normally. , The only error code I once received was cylinder misfire. but that only happened one time.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago

o​k got it about what you replaced..does scanner have data stream? (if it doesn't fine) just want to know how to help you. will the engine ever run well at any time?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
When first started after a few minutes rest it runs excellent. Accelerates fine. RPMs are smooth. Will rev just as you would expect. After about 5 minutes is when it starts its dance. First a little rough, then missing, then no power, then stall
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 21 days ago

O​K POSSIBLE COLGGED CAT...FUEL PRESSURE STILL GOOD? INJECTORS STILL ALL RECEIVING PULSE GROUNDS? SPARK PLUGS ALL STILL RECEIVING SPARK OR INCONSSITENT? YOU CANN TEST WITH LOGIC PROBLE AND SPARK WITHA SPARK TESTER INLINE. ALSO THE STOCHIOMETRIC MEIGHT BE ASKEW DUE TO A FAULTY INPUT READING TO PCM OR PCM ITSELF

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thx. Good things to check. I'll run the tests later today and get back to you
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 20 days ago

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service before you go. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges. Rating my answer positive charges your account the full question value and credits me. Submitting for a refund removes the credit from my account and makes me donate my time and experience for free, which is not my intention. Please only rate positive if you are satisfied and intend on paying for the services you agreed to. Thanks!

if for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 20 days ago

a​s it begins to act up monitor each cylinders injectors plugs wires/coils and fuel trims and try to figure which area problem is coming from and isolate from there...

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 20 days ago

You can disable exhaust slightly if you want to ck for restricted exhaust

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have tried this service twice before and never got any resolution. Yet both times they took my money. The 100% satisfaction means nothing. Even when I requested a refund, I was ignored. I will be glad to give a positive review, in fact, look forward to doing so to ensure you get paid. It is very important I get a resolution to this problem. Then I will rate the service. Not before.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 20 days ago

k no problem. When it comes to financial matters they tell me to contact you. I'm an independent contractor. I'm here till you need me... take your time

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I tested the cat, it isn't blocked. Now it seems to be getting worse. I'm going to once again recheck everything
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 20 days ago

k

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 20 days ago

getting worse is a good thing..makes it easier to find...are plugs fouling?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I have been following your steps. Now it wont even start at all. Not good or bad, not at all. This situation has gone from bad to worse. Replaced plugs, not that any were fouled, just thought it wouldn't hurt. I have no idea what to do next but I'm very frustrated. I have been doing this for many years, I'm not stumped very often which is why I reached out for help. Unfortunately that hasn't improved the situation yet.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 17 days ago

o​k back to basics. I am available for phone call. Every engine needs spark fuel compression air and injection pulse air etc... So thru process of elimination, we can find problem. Unfortunately I'm not there. so I am relying on you to perform testing. So you need help with testing...no problem this is what I do. I'm going to recommend a phone call. What you will need. Be willing to perform testing. have spark checker, a fuel pressure gauge, a logic probe, test lite, ideally a scan tool that has data.(if you don't have no problem we will work without it). So you will be performing testing at my direction so we can determine fault areas...ok?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 17 days ago

i help professional technicians who get stumped. There is a learning curve in dealing with these type of problems. I have been doing for over 35 years. We have not performed any specific testing together yet so I haven't been able to help you much.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 17 days ago

T​he fact that it does not run is good because intermittent problems are harder to find...so give me a call and lets do some testing

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 16 days ago

questions? need me to hang around?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 15 days ago

Ok... are you lacking fuel pressure, spark, injector pulse?

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 15 days ago

In order to assist you I need input

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I have checked all you have recomended. I veried injection power with a noid light. I have verified fuel pressure and return pressure. It does not seem to be a fuel or air issue. Unfortunately, now it isnt starting at all. It was at least starting and running well now not at all. The plugs are new as are the coils. When I changed the timing belts, I changed all pulleys and belts but not the hydraulic tensioner. Could the tensioner be failing and changing timing? I dont know of any part of the system I have not replaced in the last few weeks. Is there a control circuit Im missing? Im frustrated and angry. Once again, I have not gotten a resolution to the problem...yet. But you have taken my money. My understanding was that the money would be sent when the problem was resolved. 100% satisfaction means nothing. I not only would be glad to pay, but really wanted to pay as it is important that this is resolved. I never authorized or appoved payment, yet it was taken. That is outrageous.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

O​k you need to contact customer service about financial info. I assure you that you have no obligations as you have not rated. I told you what to check but I have had no feedback as to what you have checked since the no start. Do you now have spark? fuel pressure? injection pulse? is air able to enter engine through idle motor. These things need to be checked. I am not there to check for you. I rely on your input. I keep asking but get no response

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

Y​ou have placed a deposit but are under no obligations thus far as you have not rated and even then you can request refund. I am not an expert in the financial aspect of things that is customer service... I apologize that things are not clear. Perhaps you can inquire about why you are not better informed thus far. I am a subcontractor and get paid when rated. only. Please bring this to the attention of customer service as it seems to be a common problem. Some people seem to understand and some don't. Is there any info they have provided that you need to read up on? I don't know I'm just a verified subcontractor

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
spark from the coil to the plugs. New spark plugs. Yes, fuel pressure. It is circulating through the injection rail back trhough the pressure regulatior. Both fuel pump and regulator have been replaced. There is firing power to each injector checked with a noid light. The injectors have less than 10k miles since they were all replaced. I have verified the timing placement, yet it seems like it is a timing issue. That is why I asked about the hydraulic tensioner. I will be certain to take it up with the admin side of things. I appreciate you patience and your help.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

M​ake sure that you check the injectors under load. Simply disconnecting them may not prove that there is enough amperage in circuit to open injectors. Would you like a schematic of engine timing? Perhaps you have jumped time? Will it start if you allow air to enter engine by manually opening throttle plate? if you provide an alternate fuel input source such as propane starting fluid into intake will engine run? if not and you have determined air is able to enter engine and determined no exhaust restrictions I would inspect valve timing. think this engine ahs a secondary balance shaft belt as well. Let me know if you want valve timing schematics that show all timing ***** *****ne up and procedures specs etc

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

u​nder load is hooked up/connected otherwise you can get spurious readings....throw me a curve ball

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** check under load. If you have schmatics and/or specs, it would be helpful. Air flow seems to be adequate, though I will verify with starting fluid of some stripe. I will do that this afternoon and get back to you.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

ok no problem I am committed to your resolution

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

ok got to go pic up rx will get it to you when I get back please provide vin number so that I may look up correct information about your vehicle repair info thank you

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Thx. VIN: 4A3AC44G61E199678
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

I thing you need special tool to adjust primary belt. I have used 90 degree needle nose. the the tool is 30 bucks. but double check your alignment marks, So if everything else checks ok spark fuel injector pulse air etc....then yes just couble check the alignment marks and if you need any help at all.....lemme know

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

I​m assuming you replaced seals water pump and tensioners both pulleys and anything that rolls ...except gears. When I replace seals Ill stuff wheel bearing grease or Vaseline on lip of seal to ensure spring does not pop out... lubricate inner part of seal prior to intallng

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

I​ use a mirror and flashlight(to ensure line ups) and then rotate crank two revolutions and make sure alignment marks still line up.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

make sure you perform the install/adjustment correctly on primary. rotate and recheck tension and alignment marks...use mirror and flashlight to ensure marks aligned

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

Rotate two revolutions by hand. rotate in direction of normal engine rotation clockwise I'm sure...feel free to ask questions

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

did you put in a new hydraulic tensioner

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Thx. Working on it now. Ill double check alignments
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

the pin holes in figure 7 are for special tool. using that tool is important. If belt is loose that is probably why...Have done these belt jobs in past

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

these are great cars and great engines..dont care for the v6 engines o n these but my daughter had a galant 97 and she kept on getting hit by other people even an ambulance(police charged ambulance) when she went off to college. the she was pursued by two college students and they rear ended it and got totaled I was pissed....great car...

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

I changed all pulleys tensioner seals everything

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I did change the pulleys. I need to verify tensioner pulley position. An ambulance? Life is stranger than fiction. You can't make that stuff up..
Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

t​rue story she was at University in Newport news

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

a​t an exit ramp on highway...they wrote check for damage...she was fine in all 3 accidents and none were her fault...Christopher Newport

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

last accident frame got twisted

Mitsubishi Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 13 days ago

she almost could have been killed in ambulance accident...

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington