Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Endeavor bad alternator. I snapped one of the ac

Customer Question
2004 Endeavor bad alternator...

2004 Endeavor bad alternator. I snapped one of the ac compressor bols and cant remove it. Can the alternator be removed ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Do you hear a clicking when you try and start the car?

Battery not charging. I tested the voltage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Endeavor yourself? What have you tried so far?

I removed the serpentine built, the alternator wires , one compressor bolt and then SNAP. I can't move the ac compressor out of the way.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/30/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, unfortunately the compressor must be removed firstto change out the alternator. Depending on how far down the bolt broke you may be able to remove the other bolts then compressor and try to remove the broken bolt with vice grips or welding a nut on what's left. If it's broke flush or below the surface you'll need to drill it and use an easy out. Either way I suggest heating it with a propane torch and using some penetrating lube like PB Blaster or liquid wrench to make removal easier.

Bolt is snapped flush. Not sure I can get an easy out in there. What about removing compressor bracket from engine?

Thanks, ***** ***** additional info. In this case I would try to go ahead and remove the other compressor bolts, get the compressor and alternator off and remove the bracket and have a machine shop remove the broken bolt. The bracket should come out with no issues after removing the compressor and alternator.

My my next question is how to remove the bracket. What are the steps. Thanks

Unfortunately the manufacturer does not publish exact steps on the bracket. Looking at what info I do have, which I'll post below it should be 2-4 bolts once the compressor is off that hole it to the block.

My apologies for the above typo, it should read 2-4 bolts that hold the bracket to the block

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.