Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Doesn't shift. We bought the car assuming the transmission…

Customer Question
Doesn't shift Mechanic's Assistant:...

Doesn't shift

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

No. we bought the car assuming the transmission was gone. Car would not shift past 2nd installed like transmission froom sons rollover parts car and same problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2003 GST v6 auto / both of them

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. nothing. I just googled it and your stuff came up So I have eliminated the transmission as the issue mechanic changed trans for me

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/29/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

No we have not. We suspect a speed sensor or a computer issue. Either way we have a donor car that my son had and was involved in a rollover. Since we had just replaced the transmission on that one prior to the accident we bought this car that the owner said had a transmission issue. Switched transmission and same issue. Both are GTS model 6 cylinder 2003 2 door hardtop with sunroof. We suspect doner car should have good part if we know what the options are to change.

No problem

Are any warning lights on on the dash at all with the engine running or when driving?

No live call needed due to I will not be art the vehicle until later
Additional Info: When shifted into drive the Green selector light is lit solid but neutral box flashes. When put into manual shift mode it goes to 3 and a dot is lit next to it and it will not shift manually.

No problem with the call.That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.We can continue here.

The best thing to do here if you can is to have the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set.This will help quite a bit in locating the cause of this issue.

Your vehicles PCM ( engine and transmission computer ) controls the shifting and operation of your transmission.There would be a code set in it that would help to locate the fault here.

You have shift solenoid valves which are on the transmission itself and I suspect these are o.k. since these were swapped over with the replacement transmission.

You have input and output speed sensors which should be o.k. as they were also swapped over.

The neutral safety switch is the same, part of the swap over.

If you did a complete swap leaving all sensors and solenoids in place then all electrical components should not be an issue since this is the same issue your seeing with the transmission you installed.

This leads me to believe a possible fault in the PCM itself with it needing to be replaced.But there are engine components that can put the transmission into a fail safe limp mode ( which is the mode it is in which is why it will not up shift past 2nd gear) and one of those is the throttle position sensor.If this sensor is acting up this will need to be replaced.

You also have an automatic transmission control relay that can be faulty needing replaced.I would suspect this first over the PCM or the throttle position sensor.This relay is located in the engine compartment relay panel.Try swapping it out.

If it does not work then you will have to have the codes checked to see what codes are set.A local parts store will usually read out the fault codes at no charge to you.

The relay you're looking for is relay A17x in the diagram layout below in your under hood relay box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr26gpmo0ecyul7/a17-03-29.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete