Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Eclipse. It ran fine. I changed the battery…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Eclipse. It ran fine. I changed the battery and then it wouldn't start. It cranks over but does not start. When I turn the key to ON you should hear the fuel pump come on and the fuel injection prime the engine. That does not happen. I have changed the ECU, had the ECM tested, changed all the relays in the fuse box under the hood. and still no luck. I unplugged the crank position sensor and I do not have 12 volts with the key on. I plugged it back in and I jumpered a wire from the + on the battery to the 12v wire of the crank position sensor and it fires right up and runs fine. When I remove that wire it goes back to the no start condition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Oh yeah

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just told you everything I've tried

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is everything I know right now.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/28/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there - 4 or 6 cylinder engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4 cylinder.

OK - looking at some diagrams now...

Manual, or automatic transmission

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Automatic

I'm going to look at this a little closer, but any chance there were some connections disturbed when you changed the battery? The diagram shows a red and white wire, that goes to the MFI relay, which goes to the crank sensor

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I can't figure it out, anything is possible.

I would have a close look at the battery positive connections. If all you did was change the battery, that would be a logical place to revisit...

I'm still sifting diagrams to come up with some other possibilities

There is a 20 amp fuse in the relay box - #9 - can you have a look at that for me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not in front of the car at this time. I can check it this evening. Along with the red/white wire.

OK - the 20 amp fuse supplies power to the MFI relay, and the crank sensor, and some other items. Chat later. Canuck

There would be some white wires that come from the battery to the underhood fuse box - I would have a look at those too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check all this out.

Ok!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went home on my lunch hour and checked things out. The #9 fuse was fine. I tested it and swapped it out. The two large white wires from the battery + to the fuse box are hooked up and making good connection. I found a connector under the relays with one Red/WhiteStripe wire and one White/BlackStripe wire. I read voltage to both of those in the connector. Still does not start.

Have you changed keys recently? This could be a security issue, as it appears that the MFI relay is not being energized.

I will look a little further into the security system.

Is the security light illuminated?

ok -do you have the original ecu?

If you haven't reprogrammed the keys to the new ecu, I think you are in a theft mode.

I have no explanation as to why it didn't start after replacing the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know it has an aftermarket remote start installed. I looked under the dash at it last night and I see it has a transponder bypass installed that has a key located inside it. I do have the original ECU.

Your new ECU hasn't had the keys learned. I would try the old ECU.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try that on my lunch break today and see what happens.

Sounds like a good plan! :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I changed the ECU and it does the same thing. I did some reading and could it now be in a lockout mode?

Possibly. The remote start adds another level of complexity to the equation.

What make is the remote start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Audiovox CSI-400, and the bypass says EXPRESSKIT on the case.

I;m sorry, but I will need to opt out on this one. The remote start adds a level of complexity to the problem that is tough to diag via the Net. There are some other excellent Techs that may be able to guide you with the Audiovox.

Mitsubishi Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 month ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron, a different expert.

It sounds to me like you activated the security system. I attached a re-learn procedure for you to try and let me know the results.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see the attachment.

That's because I forgot to attach it:(

Here it is, sorry.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have it. I will try it this evening and hope it works.

Good deal. Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you have any more concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried your suggestion but it didn't have any effect. It still does the same thing.

Okay, then the computer needs to be scanned to find this faulr.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
First you gave me a "probably can't help" disclaimer. Then you gave me one weak suggestion and ask for a 5 start rating. Then you brush me off without helping me at all. Why on earth would I give you a 5 star rating???
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like to be referred to the technician named Doug who seems to know a lot about Mitsubishi Eclipses.

Don't know what you're talking about, no one brushed you off. I'm an expert on this site, we experts don't know each other.

First you insult me, then you want a favor, funny.

I'm trying to send you in the right direction, but it sounds like tools and abilities are getting in the way.

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor