Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 2010. The central

Hi there, I have a...
Hi there, I have a Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 2010. The central locking has stopped responding to either of my key fobs. I have replaced the key fob's batteries but this has made no difference.Any suggestions?
3/26/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If both key fobs stopped working at the same time this is usually a fault with the control unit/ecu internally for the electronic central locking.I have seen the body computer or door lock receiver cause this fault needing replaced.

The first thing that needs to be done is to check and and make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels.If all fuses are found to be o.k. then what has to be done is a compatible scan tool or computer needs to be plugged into your vehicles data port to see what codes are set.This has to be a scan tool or computer that can communicate with all computers in your vehicle.

If any codes are set then those codes need to be diagnosed to then help to locate and repair this issue here.Having the codes checked will help to pinpoint if the body ecu or door lock receiver is at fault needing replaced.

This has to be done unfortunately to help to locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hi Pete.
Just tried all the fuses, no joy they are all good. I have an iCarsoft i909 which I believe is the correct scanner for my car. I have just run a check and it claims that there are no DTC's. You queried if both fobs had stopped working at the same time. No they did not, the spare fob stopped working months ago, I assumed it was the battery but did not get round to changing it because fob No1 was still working.Do you think it might be the fobs?
Also, did you happen to see my previous question about my sat nav that no one answered. The guidance voice has stopped working, though the graphics continue to work fine. Any chance there is a connection?

O.k., if one fob stopped working some time back and now the other fob has stopped the most common cause of this issue is a fault with the key fobs themselves.I have seen the fobs slowly fail over time like yours have here with them needing to be replaced.I would have the key fobs tested.In some cases, a parts store or dealer can test the signals from them.But both failing sounds to be the most likely cause here.

Your second question looks like a moderator here had closed it out.They may have thought it was a duplicate question you had.Ill see if I can get them to reopen it and see if I can help on that one.If I can I will reply to it and you will get the response.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Pete. Right, when I said I had changed both batteries, I wasn't quite telling the truth. In fact, what happened was that my son had taken the keys to Timpsons who told him they were fine. Anyway, following discussion with you, I got to thinking that perhaps Timpsons were wrong so I got my multimeter out, both batteries were flat as pancakes. Fitted new batteries today, remote locking is working fine. I don't begrudge you the £15.00 quid, you spent time and it was my fault I did not check the batteries first. Do you think you can help me with the other problem, that of no sound from my satnav. Will be happy to pay more if you know a solution.

That is great to hear you have located and repaired the fault with the key fobs.

Is there no sound in radio mode as well with this issue here?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi Pete. Radio and all the rest of the communication system is working fine. Indeed, the radio dips in volume as if the sat nav is giving instructions, just no voice.
Many thanks
Keith

Hello

Was anything done on your vehicle that may have caused this issue before it started?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
PS. I have gone into the settings and tried to turn the volume up, even on full it makes no difference. Also tried changing the voice to female but this has no effect either.

O.k., since you have sound on radio and other functions and since the volume does dip when on radio as if the sat/nav is working this sounds to be an internal fault in the navigation control unit itself.I don't show a diagram or location of this unit and some of these are built into the radio itself.But I have seen on several models in the past before where this control unit fails and causes this issue here.

What needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done there should be at least one code set in the radio or nav system that will help to identify this as the fault as well as check for any other faults.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi Pete, thanks for the reply. The research I did suggests that the iCarsoft, i909 was the most compatible scanner and this is not showing any fault codes. Is this not the best scanner for the job do you think?

That scan tool is a good scan tool but however, the PID data communications are limited on the after market scan tools so this will require a more complex scan tool or computer like the dealer has.Allot of the after market scan tools are unable to read all computers in your vehicle unfortunately as the vehicle manufacturer will only allow so many computers to communicate with after market scan tools.One I know of for sure that works with just about all computers is the one in the link below.But other than that a dealers scan tool/computer is the best option.It does sound like the navigation control unit is the cause here.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-DS808-Automotive-Diagnostic-Multi-language/dp/B008XN7NUG

Thanks, Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
OK Pete, thanks for your help.
All the best Keith

Your welcome Keith

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician