Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Kia Sedona slips when it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear

Customer's question: Transmisison slips when in 4th gear at times. What can cause this issue?

Mechanic's answer: Went over other shop recommendations. Advised of possibel transmission range sensor TSB and possible issues with the torque convertor.

Read full interaction below »

My name is***** own a Kia 2003 Sedona with a F5A51 transmission that when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, it engages for a second, than slips? (Almost like it drops back to 3rd. Does this two or 3 more times, then it locks in until the next time it needs to shift up to 4th gear. There does not seem to be excessive revving of the engine.
By the way, there are no codes generated according to my Foxwell Automaster Pro NT614.
Any opinions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It is original with slightly less than 70k miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedona yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a reputable shop and they could not give me an answer as to what might be causing the problem. Electronic diagnosis was done on it also, I am not sure if preasures were checked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so.

Sorry, I missed this question. No leakage.
3/22/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, was the shop able to duplicate the concern? Is it full of transmission fluid and it doesnt look or smell burnt?

The shop experienced the problem twice.(Now it has become constant) Fluid is OK nice and reddish and no burnt odor.

Does it feel like you are driving over a washboard road when this happens?

I would like to continue in writing. At 70 years my memory is lousy and I need to retain as much as possible to make a decision.
No unusual feeling except some slight jerking.

Not a problem, that the website prompting a phone call not me. If it is slipping as you mention the torque convertor clutch may be slipping and not holding it in lock up. if it is slipping out of 4th gear there may be a fluid leak in the overdrive clutch or issue in the valve body. Since you can duplicate the concern the shop should be able to isolate it as being a slipping torque convertor clutch or an issue inside the transmission itself. They may need to do a line pressure test to isolate it to a control issue in the valve body or internal trans itself. One other good possibility is there is an issue with the transmission range sensor. If it reads neutral instead of drive, it can slip into neutral and cause this issue. This can also be verified while the concern happens and monitoring the transmission range sensor input with a scan tool. Couple different possibilities but more diagnostic checks are needed to isolate it to a specific area.

The Range sensor. Is that the switch on top of the transmission?

Yes it is under the shift linkage on top of the transmission if it needs replaced. It also must be adjusted properly if replaced.

Gene, would the failure of the Transmission Range sensor show up as en error code on the reader?

Possibly, there is a tsb for transmission range sensor issues but it may or may not set a code if it is an intermittent fault. The scan tool will verify if it is reading incorrectly.

OK Gene. I will make sure that this switch is operating properly and has no noise while switching. (I will Scope it) If that is all right, I will take it back to the shop and let them have another go at it.

Yes that will sho whats going on for sure. If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
You got the High 5! Good evening to you.

Thank you!

Hello Gene,
Was unable to reach you from your email. Finlay figured out how to sign in to this site so I can let you know my decision on this Kia. The weather here has not permitted me to use my oscilloscope outside and am waiting for a dry day. My decision is that if it is not the switch, and the trany needs rebuild, I will dispose of it. The poor thing is not worth investing a couple of grand to have the transmission rebuilt. Thank you for your time and have a pleasant day.
You are welcome. Thank you fir the update and good luck!