Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 Mitsubishi 3.5 temperature hands go crazy from hot…

Customer Question
My 2002 Mitsubishi 3.5...

My 2002 Mitsubishi 3.5 temperature hands go crazy from hot to cold and bottom radiator hose stays cold

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

Yes coolant is fine no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Mitsubishi?

Montero

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have replace thermostat bleed the system and added new coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I hope he can help me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 1 month ago
Greg
Greg, Technician
Hi name is ***** ***** I’m reviewing your question and then I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Greg
Ok typical Issue that we see very often. Check the connection of the engine temp sensor . This is probably a bad connection or the sensor is bad .
This will be most likely your problem.Check this first then please get back to me for further advice with this issue .Rgds Greg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did replace the sensor today forgot to inform you of this it seems like something is not let the thermostat open
Ok did you check for malfunctioned if the thermostat is stuck open you will most likely have a P0128 malfunction code.Remove the connector and grind it with the ignition ON the dial will go to Hot. If flickers you have a wiring issue or a bad instrument cluster.Note the sensor is the one with only one wire near the thermostat housing .Rgds Greg
Sorry “Ground “ the wire not grind..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't check the wire yet I was to busy trying to see why the thermostat wouldn't open and the bottom hose was cold when the top hose is very hot
Ok stuck closed is the engine over heating.
Depending on the outside temp (very cold) this could be normal. Top hot lower warm .
What I would do is remove the thermostat and leave with none for testing .
If still same problem with the temp gauge then the gauge wiring or connector is the problem. If thermostat was stuck closed you would eventually overheat .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I will get back on this in the morning

okay sounds Good .

Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician