Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I replaced the timing belt on a 2002 Eclipse with the 3.0.

Customer Question
I replaced the timing...

I replaced the timing belt on a 2002 Eclipse with the 3.0. The next day the car seemed sluggish, so I pulled the cover and found the rear cam was off by two teeth. During disassembly, I discovered the new tensioner was leaking and the tensioner pulley was "wobbly", so I replaced them. After assembly, the car ran beautifully for about 2 hours. The next time I started it, there was a terrible "knocking" sound and the car was running poorly. I removed the covers again and found the front cam was now off by 4 teeth. What is causing this to happen repeatedly. I've followed the instructions each time with all the proper tools.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

The car has over 200k, but I don't know if the belt was ever changed before I got it. The car was running perfectly before I changed the belt. I just did it because of the mileage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a mechanic looking into it as well, but he's not coming up with any answers as to why it keeps jumping. He says it all looks like it has been installed correctly.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/16/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Are the new parts OE or aftermarket?

Did you also tighten the belt using the eccentric part of the tensioner see link as example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAmHqgVHbE

It will loosen up if you do not do this part correctly, its common to happen. Hope this information helps you :).

If you are satisfied with the answer, please leave a rating so I can receive credit for the answer, it would mean so much to me. We can still continue even after rating. (My goal is 5 stars so please let me know what else I can do for you to achieve the 5 star rating.)

When the pin is removed from the tensioner, the plunger should not come out at all. The pin should be able to be re-inserted after removing it if the belt tension is tighten enough

They are aftermarket parts. (Import Direct the first time and I replaced the tensioner and tensioner pulley with Gates brand.
Yes I tightened the eccentric pulley exactly like the video you sent. Right now, the belt is still tight, but the front cam is off by 4 teeth.

Gates is a very good brand and is rare that it fails like how your experiencing. The only other recommendation I have is try OE and run it with the cover off for 20 minutes to verify the tightness and assurance that it will no longer move again. As long as you make sure the pin can still be inserted and the belt is tighten, then I have no further possibilities other than what is stated. I've experienced this issue a good number of times and the usual cause was the lack of knowledge of the tightening process of the tensioner. If you like, I can open this back up for another expert to possibly give you another professional opinion, but that would be all I have to offer you.

Thanks for your help anyway. I could be wrong, but I don't feel like the tightening process is the issue as we followed the instructions obtained from Mitsubishi. I'm just at a loss as to why this happened twice now.

my pleasure, I am sorry I could not help you with any other possibilities :(. Would you like to try another expert perhaps?

Does it cost me for each expert?

No it will not, I can simply opt out the question. When I opt out the question, it opens this back up to all experts to see. Just do not reply back until another expert has helped you.

Ok. Yes, please.

No problem! Good luck and hopefully another expert can give you other options. Reminder, do not reply anymore until another expert has assisted you :).

It has been a couple days there has not been another response from another expert, do you have any updates?

I haven't received any responses from any other experts. But I did talk to a Chrysler/Mitsubishi tech over the weekend that mentioned he has had several cases where the oil pump has either failed or the pick up tube was clogged enough to partially starve the engine for oil and could potentially cause the timing belt to jump some teeth. Another option he has seen (although more rare), one of the valves will drop and contact the piston (even slightly), causing the momentary "stall" of the cam which could cause the belt to slip past a few teeth. We are going to check into both of those possibilities this week.
your saying a possible engine restriction issue. I will as well look into that tomorrow as well when I get on my software and do more research

Yea I see nothing noting as any pick up tube or oil pump being an issue on my end. As for what I have experienced, it has only been what I mentioned. Another thing I can think of is the vane slipping when removing the crank pulley, but shouldnt loosen or damage the belt tensioner