Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driving a Pajero Gen 3 1999 Japan import in Botswana. Motor…

Customer Question
Driving a Pajero Gen 3...
Driving a Pajero Gen 3 1999 Japan import in Botswana. Motor 4M41/Turbo/Diesel. I recently re-installed myself a new cylinder head, changed the timing chain guides, retimed the diesel fuel pump. The motor seems to be fine, it starts it without any difficulties. No smoke. After driving, when things warm up I have a loss of power after 10-15 minutes of driving. Once stopped, impossible to restart the hot engine. Starts back no problem after 30 minutes of cool down. I had a code 46 (Injection correction ROM system). Found 5 wires coming from equipment side kinked to a point where all of them were bare. Fixed that. Tried to clear the fault code but still there. Only fault code I have at the moment. Also have some issues with auto transmission, shifting not happening between 3rd and 4th.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Answered in 2 days by:
3/15/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If you have not had the fuel system tested to see if there is an issue with a component like the fuel pump/injection pump or fuel filter or any other fuel components this needs done.If an issue is found with any of these components the affected component will need replaced to resolve this issue here.If this was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Being in Botswana, finding the right mechanic to help on this is quite the challenge. I have been around with mitigated success at best for various previous issues. To give you an example, I had the cylinder head gasket changed 3 times. I ended up doing it myself and so far, it seems to have worked the best. So, if you are willing to help, it will require your patience to help a beginner / do-it-yourselfer. Let me know if you are willing to dig in. Still, to answer some of your questions, I had the pump checked 6 months ago and injectors. I have gone thru (myself) the fault code 46 trouble shooting and as mentioned found the wires that I fixed. Talking to a local mechanic this morning (I just talk to them, I don't let them work on it ;-) ). He asked me to check if there might be some vacuum lock on the fuel system, mentioning that sometimes the fuel cap vent gets blocked (insect or other) after a car has not move for a long time (it is the case in my car). That would have been an easy fix. Check it but to no avail. For the transmission issues, he leaned toward a problem with the throttle electronic portion. I did get a related code (41) not long ago that eventually vanished without me doing anything. On some tests in the manuels, I did get an open circuit (instead of a 0 to 1 result) on one of the test for that component. I will send more info on this if needed. It a start. It is quite complex, I don't mind calling you to accelerate the process.

Unfortunately, my info is limited to your model here.It may be best for me to open your question back up for others here to see if anyone else can help further.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete