Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Montero limited 4x4 center differential light flashing…

Customer Question
2001 Montero limited 4x4...

2001 Montero limited 4x4 center differential light flashing yellow. truck is experiencing shudder/vibration from 25-55 mph , even if transmission is in neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Blinks steadily at this point . center differential light in center of 4 wheel display

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. had tires and wheel balanced and rotated to eliminate that possibility. started out vibrating only at lower speed now continuous.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I was trained in the military as a mechanic and have fairly extensive 4x4 repair experience, mainly on Jeep brands. I suspect a bad output bearing on the transfer case or bad driveshaft cv joint(s). but I'm not sure without breaking down.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/9/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Have you had it scanned to see which codes are stored?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not . My scanner is not working , which I did not know until now.

I can diagnose and get semi-accurate without codes or do much better with codes. What would you like to do, try to get it scanned and return?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will get it scanned and reply early next week.

Super

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
FYI. Per your request, the code reader indicated NO CODES . Checked twice to make sure. Please advise.

Is the light flashing out a code?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Everything I have researched indicates that the flashing light is most likely stuck actuator rods , a bad switch on the transfer case and/or a bad freewheeling valve L300. Exercise in/out of 4wd system and proper lubrication frequently solves this issue. Makes sense since the vehicle has been sitting in excess of 2 years. Please address the vibration issue since that is the reason it was parked in the first place.

Since you are not able to get the codes, I do not believe I can provide an answer as good as I would like. I will opt out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are no codes to get. This is ridiculous.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 1 month ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi .

My Name is ***** ***** hopefully i can assist you with this issue .

I have a lot of experience with Mitsubishi so first i have a question .

The flashing yellow Diff lock light does it flash from the first start of the engine or first after a longish drive.

I see you are a Mechanic did you check the propeller drive shaft for damaged this is a typical issue for vibration from 25-55 mph.

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The light starts flashing immediately when ignition is turned on and continues after motor is started. As I indicated earlier I'm aware this is a common problem with Monteros, it is not my main concern. The vibration issue is a mechanical issue that must be addressed. I indicated earlier that I suspected either a bad output bearing on the transfer case, not likely at 153k miles, or a bad CV joint (s) on drive shaft or axle shaft (s). Much more common occurrence. I am simply trying to get guidance from someone with experience on Mitsubishi 4x4s to guide me to the most likely or most prone to fail area in their experience.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Additionally, there is no clicking noise from the front of the vehicle when driving, which has in the past has been a clear indication front CV joint failure.

Most common issue is the drive shaft ,you will not see any issue with the CV joint it self .

One could be that the Drive shaft was removed and not replaced in the right marked position .

There is also a TSB for this problem .TSB-00-25-001.

If you feel the vibration thought the steering wheel Seat and or body suspect this issue .

Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The drive shaft has never been removed. Would you recommend pulling it, having it balanced, replacing CV joints and reinstalling. I assume from your answer that you do not suspect rear CV joint issues. BTW this vehicle has never been off-road so there have been no adverse mud/water exposure.

If you have the symptoms as i said above then yes i would have it balance .

Also when removed you can better check the end Joints .

Just thinking but it in 4WD and do a test drive and let me know if there is a big difference .

Greg

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician