Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Disconnected my battery in 2000 Eclipse six cylinder

Customer Question
automatic to clean the throttle...
Disconnected my battery in 2000 Eclipse six cylinder automatic to clean the throttle body and Idle control valve with throttle body cleaner, Was idling rough after warm up. I had to remove the throttle body because one of the screws on the Idle control valve was stripped I marked all of the vacuum lines prior to disassembly replaced the throttle body gasket reconnected the vacuum lines and now won't start sounds like it wants to start but won't. What did I do wrong ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
3/7/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Jake, Automotive Technician replied 4 months ago
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician

Have you attempted to start it while gently pressing the accelerator pedal?

So it did start immediately after cleaning the throttle?

Now it won't?

Never started after

ok, are you at the car now?

No can be in anout 30 minutes

well, when your at the car i need you to press the gas pedal down 3/4 the way and crank it for a good 10-15 seconds.

i am wondering if maybe the IACV was closed or the cleaner was blocking the passage so the engine could not get air to start and flooded from cranking.

If that does not work, then something else might be going on because all the IACV does in the "starting" process is slightly back the pintle up to allow air past the throttle chamber.

I have the IACV out of the car right now I took it out to check the position to see if it was open or closed. Ill replace it later to see if that works if not I'll get back in touch with you

Thanks, ***** ***** know.

I put the IACV back in and tried what you suggested. Did not start. Checked to make sure there was spark I have spark. Tried spraying starter fluid into the air breather tube did not start. Checked the wiring to the throttle position sensor.

Assuming the vehicle was running PRIOR to removing the throttle body you should have good compression.

All you need is fuel, spark, air, & compression or an engine to run.

Spark - so you know you have spark

Compression - we can assume you have compression if it was running fine prior.

fuel - the starting fluid has to get PAST the throttle body. it won't help in the intake tube if it's not getting past the throttle.

air - opening the throttle partially will guarantee there is sufficient air.