Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have question about shock replacement my new adventure...

Hi Doug, I have question...
Hi Doug, I have question about shock replacement my new adventure...There is two bolts dealer said is too rusty an d needs to be cut
Ill send you picture let me know if it is common and makes 450$ sense for remooval
3/7/2018
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Ras!

Yes, those are the sway bar end links and they are SUPER common to rust at the ends so that the nuts won't come off. In addition to seizing, you usually can not use an impact either as it will spin the joint on the back side (that's why there is an allen hole in the stud, to hold it and remove by hand).

So needing to replace those.... totally typical and not a surprise. Now the $450? That's another subject altogether....The links (which are what have the studs fixed on either end) are about $75 each, and the nuts are $2 each (x4). So just in parts alone you are at $160 roughly.
I personally would not even charge any additional labor to cut them off if you were buying struts. To charge $300 is ridiculous.
Specifically, since you are replacing the struts, the top bolts/nuts don't even need to come out since you aren't reusing either the links or the struts. No sense in wasting time cutting those off.
The lower nuts where they attach to the sway bar will take roughly 1-2 minutes each to cut off. They have two methods of attack... either take a 3" cutting disc and cut laterally across the stud (either behind the sway bar where the bulk of the link is, or behind the nut as close as they can get without hitting the sway bar too much), or if they for some reason don't want to do that, they can use the same cutting disc and cut straight across the head of the nut/stud (like they are making a screw driver slot on the end). Once they get to the bottom they can widen it out a little bit if necessary, then take a chisel/screwdriver/prybar to the slot and a hammer to knock the two "sides" of the nut/stud apart breaking them off.

Either method is just a few minutes work per side to get the bottoms free and again no reason to cut the tops since you will be getting new links and are replacing the struts anyway. But even if they wanted to, ,more or less it is the same procedure (just a little tighter access than the lowers) and wouldn't add considerable time.

Again the parts are like $160 (from Mitsubishi genuine parts that is), and the labor really shouldn't exceed their shop-minimum (most shops have either a minimum half hour or minimum hour labor for straight labor time... and of course this would not exceed any minimum charge as its only a few minutes work).

And again... me personally, if you were buying two struts from and I was getting all that labor that comes with them, I'd just charge for the links and cut them off for free. It's literally a few minutes of my time and not worth angering a customer over especially if they already have to add the end links to the bill anyway.

However they came up with $450 I can not imagine, but it should not even be entertained.

I think again with extended warranty they get 100$ deductible and that's why it not enough cash up front, however warranty pays hole part and labor but not rusty Stuf are covered.... And usually they call after you leave..... But this is different dealer from last one....

Yeah, even with extended warranty, the $100 deductible is way more than the labor. If they are expecting you to front the entire bill for the links because of the warranty taking too long to pay, I still can't see that exceeding $270 or so ($100 labor plus the parts). And even at that, they should be refunding you after they get paid. There isn't any sense in having to pay $450 for a repair because it takes (just making up a time) a week for the warranty company to pay the $270 or whatever, less your deductible too.

I just can't understand how they come up with $450 to make two simple cuts and replace $170 in parts.... which keep in mind they would have been removing anyway to change the struts.

And just to be clear, if they are sticking you with extra labor because they are unhappy with the amount that extended warranty was paying for the strut portion of the repair, that is not appropriate really unless there is something excessive (like rust of course) that makes the job unnecessarily more difficult than on a typical car (and the end links don't really qualify for that here, because again even $100 is excessive in labor for cutting them off).
If they have a problem with the warranty company then they need to call them back and tell them they require more money... a lot of times we have to remind warranty companies that our labor rate is $100~ and hour, as they want to pay at like $30 a hour like we were a oil lube place. If you don't tell them that, they will often pay as little as possible.
If that still isn't sufficient ot cover their needs, you need to contact the warranty company and explain to them that they are refusing service because of the amount that your warranty is willing to pay.

How those bolts called?
Mybe I should talk to service manager when I get back?Do you have any source that would indicate parts and labor?
on my way back I can get it down to any reasonable price?
Would GM can help if I talk to him?
Who can I talk to when this kind of rip off?
Any outside source I can talk to?
Its left and right side, forgot to tell you Mybe that's why
Becouse they are taking left and right front shocks

Yeah I would definitely talk with them, as that is just not a reasonable figure for what you are saying they are doing.... the $450 for just cutting off the stuck nuts and replacing the end links.
Can you provide your VIN and I can get you something to print out?

they cut on both sides

Right, I'm clear on that.

Im not sure how this picture will come out, first time trying a photo upload from my phone.
If it comes through, what the picture shows is literally all they have to do, once per side, then install the new links and nuts on the new struts.
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Ok tree on each side cut same way as on picture, Mybe ill talk to service manager....Those 3 bolts called, strut mount bolts right?

Right, cut the same way on the opposite side. The upper ones you can leave be because they are attached to the strut that is coming out too.

Ok thanks ill find out after one month how it drives after they fix it....

ugh, I know what an ordeal its been!