Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need to replace harmonic balancer on 2001 eclipse got the…

Need to replace harmonic...

Need to replace harmonic balancer on 2001 eclipse got the main bolt off but cant get pulley free

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mitsubishi Eclipse. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Is there a special tool required? how do i get it loose without messing up timing/crankshaft position

3/7/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

2.4 or 3.0?

3.0 v6

ok thanks

ok will get it. thanks. from there is it fairly simple?

very simple.

you may have to take the upper engine mount off so the engine drops enough to fit the tool on the harmonic balancer though Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow- up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

is there some step by step instructions you might be able to send me for using the puller?

the instructions will be with the puller

another question, the is a small hole off center of the main one with what looks like a kotter pin/key does it need to removed before pulley will come off and if so how?

no that does not need to come off. that's a guide pin.

went and got a wheel puller but it came with no instructions and the drive shaft was too big to fit and couldn't make it work. is there different sizes of wheel pullers. i can pull the pulley but the gear directly behind it is trying to come out with it

crankshaft gear is trying to come off with it?

that it what it seems like

does it have a small pin sticking out of the front of the balancer?

ill be back on in a bit. I have to get to my shop

no other bolts besides the main one

ok this is what keep the crank gear attached, usually, it is protruded out and you pull it out. when you said there was a pin I thought you were talking about the keyway lock.

any ideas on how to get it off?

try tapping around the pullet with a hammer to try to break the bond

i have now got a puller on it and the puller was getting it to the point of trying to pull the timingbelt and everything out with it. I have tried to hit with hammer to break loose. it is one with the crank!

ok, Im going to opt out and let someone else chime in here. it is not one piece

ok thanks for trying. got some good info at least
Dennis Gooch

Are you trying to replace the oil seal behind?

no, just trying to replace crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. cannot get the old one free from the timing gear. the entire gear is trying to come out with pulley

unfortunately the pulley IS one piece with timing belt pulley, so you have to remove timing belt before pulling that off.

on all diagrams and new part that is not what I can find

if you like, I can forward you the procedure for replacing the timing belt. If you want that, I would need the VIN#

The ones that I have done have been that way, with the one piece pulley.

Vin # is 4A3AC54H61E143125 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 3.0 V6.
I have the Haynes manual and it shows it as two separate parts but this manual is kind of hit and miss on some subjects

OK....I thought u had a 2.4 4 cylinder. The V6 is 2 separate pieces. Let me look at the removal procedure.

Wow, it looks as though once you get that center bolt out of balancer that it should just pull out of there. It may have rust/corrosion build up that is freezing it together or the crank alignment key has become distorted. Either way, it may require heating the crank pulley carefully with a propane torch and then shocking it with a hammer blow to free it. Just be careful not to heat pulley so hot that it damages timing belt. Also avoid hitting pulley on the v groove for the belt.

I got it out!!! just took a torch and hammer to it and beat it off. I have the next issue unfortunately, I think I might have damaged the threads, when trying to put the bolt back in it wouldn't catch and after wards the bolt threads are shown in picture attached

If you take a sharp pick, u may be able to peel that metal from those top threads. Sometimes, a thread file may be needed. U can get one at a hardware store or harbor freight store. Also a wire brush or wire wheel can remove that metal from the threads at times. When you do re-install the bolt you may want to put some thread - locker on bolt. Also, tap pulley on further before trying to pull it on with threaded bolt so that it engages alot of threads before torque is applied so that it doesnt happen again. Good Luck!

Dennis Gooch

Glad I could help!