Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What is the fuel pump relay numbers on a 98 3000gt sl. How…

What is the fuel...

What is the fuel pump relay numbers on a 98 3000gt sl

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mitsubishi 3000GT. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

How to tell if the fuel pump is bad

3/2/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, your looking for the part number for the fuel pump relay and looking for information on how to test/check the fuel pump? Is that correct?

I assume the engine cranks but does not start right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is correct. All fuses are good I pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and had someone turn it over and I’m not getting any fuel out of the line

Thank you for that information. Would you allow me to help point you in the right direction?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would please.

Certainly. Please allow a few moments while I type up some information for you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok awesome thank you

first what you are going to want to do is check all fuses and confirm they are good. If so, be sure that the check engine light comes on with the key on for a bulb check. This indicates that the main engine computer is awake.

If that checks out good, then check the main relay (MFI) relay and operation. This relay supplies power to the fuel pump. Turn the key on and see if the relay click. If so, check power leaving the relay on the black/blue wire. If the relay does not click, check for powers and one ground going into the relay and see what it is missing preventing it from activating. Maybe it is a bad relay..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you check the power on the relay with a test light? And what if there is no check engine light that comes on when you turn the switch on

YES, you can use a test light or a voltmeter to check for power.

If there is no check engine light on with the key on, this could indicate a bad computer provided all fuses, fusible links and the wiring is good going into the computer.

Keep in mind, there are fusible links located under the hood near the fuses and relays that are sometimes easy to miss so be sure to check those for power in and out to ensure they are good.

I am glad I can help! If you wish to speak on the phone, you can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it turned over and hit one time but that’s it that’s why I was curious about the fuel pump and relay. Do you know what wires on the fuel pump plug are the hot and negative and what pins on the plug I can use to check the plug

YES, I do. I have a factory wiring diagram.

What pins have power going into the main relay with the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The factory wiring diagram would be great can you send it to me. And yes what pins do I need to use to check the plug at the fuel pump

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can use my test light to check the blue/black wire to see if it is getting power. How would I check it with a voltmeter

YES you can.

You just put the red lead on the wire you are testing for power and the black lead on ground and take a reading. :)

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What If the fuel pump and the relay are both good and I’m still not getting fuel then what

Then we diagnose it and figure out why.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would you check next
It’s very long and complex. It would be best if we can speak over the phone. I can explain everything in detail. Can you speak on the phone today?
Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will the mfi relay with the number e8t08472 4928 Work on my 98 3000gt sl

Send me your VIN and I will look up the part number for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to get it to you tomorrow

Sounds good!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you not look up the difference between the 95 and 98 to see if the mfi relay off a 95 will work on a 98

Not without the VIN.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok what about the etacs or ecu?

The VIN would be best.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha. Ok another question lol can you tell me what wire on the etacs is the anti theft disarm wire

I can tell you all about the theft system on this vehicle using the VIN. :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’m going to get it for you off the dash after I get off work. I bought a new fuel pump to put in it as well and I’m hoping the relays I got off the 95 will work for the 98

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about the wiring harness could you tell me anything about it without the vin

It depends.. what is your question about the wiring harness?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you had a diagram of how to remove it off of another car because if 95 stuff is interchangeable with the 98 I am going to get the wiring harness off of the 95 for my 98 of that makes sense

The entire wiring harness? Based on my experience, that wont work.

Think about it this way. The OBD2 plug on the 1998 is not on the 1995 so there will be no wiring or connector there on the 1995 vehicle or harness. If so, the wiring and connector will be different along with the communication protocol (the way the computer communicates with the scanner).

Some parts of the harness will not work. But I bet if you speak with a mitsu parts specialist, he will tell you that the part numbers for these two wiring harnesses are different.

I meant to say, some parts of the harness will work, but in the end, it is a different wiring harness.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha. Well just thinking if I replaced the fuel pump and it still would not fire But from everyone up talking to they all say that it is a fuel pump problem or relay problem. That’s why I got the one off of the 95

Got it, you can certainly plug the relay in and see if that does the trick provided it fits and you are able to plug it in

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Like I said I’m going to get you the Vin number after work

Sounds good

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Mitsubishi Technician