Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just installed a clutch on a 2008 Lancer EVO. It doesn't…

hello. just installed a clutch...
hello. just installed a clutch on a 2008 Lancer EVO. It doesn't want to go into gear while the engine is running and the clutch feels hard. We bled the slave cylinder and it got better but is still hard. It's an Exedy stock clutch. One thing I've noticed is looking inside the transmission from the plug, the throwout bearing is not engaged. I can move the fork back and forth but the throwout bearing doesn't stay in contact with the clutch and just moves away from the disc. Basically, the fork is in position towards the passenger side.
2/28/2018
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I have to say that this sounds like friction / centre plate may have been fitted the wrong way round

if you see this guide

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles.php?tech_article_id=27

step 62

The "thicker" side faces away from the flywheel.

if its the other way round the clutch won't engage

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

I highly doubt this. The disc had a stamp to show which side goes to tranny side. And we followed it.

Ok

in that case it may have been the wrong specification of clutch as there are a few types

as you have a gap between the throw-out bearing and the front of the clutch this is why the pedal feels hard as there's no travel left on the slave to push the clutch

Is the bearing supposed to stay locked in if I move the fork manually while the engine is off?

the bearing should stay clipped onto the fork

this 'how to' shows how the bearing should fit into the clutch

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/331207-how-release-throw-out-bearing.html

I understand that. The link shows how to remove the bearing but we are at the point after install. The bearing does not stay pressed against the disc even when I manually press the fork into it. The question was, is it supposed to stay locked in or does it release automatically.

Hello

the 'ears' on the sides of the bearing should engage around the legs of the release fork. so the bearing moves with the release fork

with the clutch pedal released the bearing should still stay in touch with the front face of the clutch fingers / springs as there's not supposed to be any room for it all to move

if there's a gap between the bearing and the springs this indicates the clutch is at the wrong height

this is bourne out by the fact you have gear selection difficulties

the only other possibility is the slave cylinder is faulty and is not fully returning to its end stop

so the next step should be to take the slave off and check that its fully extended

with the slave removed if you can move the shift fork at all your clutch is needing to come out again

I removed the slave cylinder and just to see how the bearing sits, it doesn't lock in at all with the clutch. Seems like the ring that is supposed to hold it is defective I believe. Would you agree??

I'd agree , or the spigot on the bearing is worn. but I'm presuming that you replaced that along with the rest of the clutch.

with slave out can you move the shift fork in the bell housing ?

It moves freely. And yes, new bearing. Someone suggested an aftermarket one piece collar is more ideal but such as the one in this link. https://www.maperformance.com/products/act-monoloc-one-piece-collar-pull-type-clutches-884006p

I'd agree that the aftermarket part does look it would stop the bearing from popping out

but there should be no free play of the shift fork back and forth so getting to the bottom of why you do have this free play will be the route to fixing it

I'm sure the free play is because of the bearing not locking into the collar.

OK

does the slave cylinder show any signs of not being fully extended?

Seems normal to me. I am concerned about the master cylinder though. Just because I had the very hard clutch pedal feel before. I have to wait for the new collar to come in before I'm ripping this part again.

OK

was there any black specks in the clutch fluid before you started the swap?

as if the fluid was very dark this is a sign of seals breaking up then so this would then be wise to strip the master down to check the condition of the seals

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Sorry. Never noticed any black specs through out the project. I just got the new collar yesterday and will start again on Monday. I would like to keep this conversation open until then please. Thank you for your patience.

OK

just get back to me on this post

350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hi
do you still need help?
Thanks Matt

Hi sorry for the long wait. Everything is back together and working great. It seems like the aftermarket collar which is 20 times stronger did the job. Can't understand why the put such cheap collars on....

glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting me know