Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Same wandering, have replaced steering box, replaced

Customer Question
Same wandering, have replaced...

Same wandering, have replaced steering box , replaced everything on front end, have done alignment, the works. The steering is dangerous, can I delete and put different setup on vehicle

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

I am a certified mechanic, looking to delete setup, desire tight steering, is there any conversions that you are aware of

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2003 Montero Sport 3.0, automatic, all wheel drive, four wheel drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

I completely rebuilt intire front end, after reading about steering box failures, I went ahead and replaced everything, I am the third owner

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

A fix for this crappy steering system

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vehicle was for my daughter, the Power assist Mitzi. Steering is alwfull, reminds me of driving a deuce and 1/2 in the Army. Want to delete and go with a stiffer system. Do you know of any options.
1/18/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I can't find a kit of parts for this vehicle, but as ever, all things are possible

I'd suggest to get in touch with the steering conversion specialists as they should be able to help

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0007

or

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/download/datasheets/RCK_DS_WEB.pdf

or

http://www.unisteer.com/

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you open question back up. Every steering component on the front end has been replaced with all new parts, that include steering pump. I have had a four wheel alignment done everything is solid. Also have replaced all of the bearing. Are you telling me that this wandering back and forth is not fixable. Is there a different steering pump that will fix issue.

Hello

the question stays open, even after you rate my answer so don't worry about that

If you're happy to stick with the steering box setup and have replaced a lot of parts and had it aligned then its possibly as good as its going to get

however one thing that's often overlooked is the steering damper? as this is meant to be quite stiff and slows the steering wobble down considerably

there are even uprated items offered to help counter large off-road wheels and tyre

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is not a steering damper on this vehicle, cannot find on internet direct replacement. Do have or can you get info. There wasn’t a steering damper on vehicle when I bought it. There is no brackets for mounting. Would need whole kit.

Hello

looks like this damper comes as a bolt on kit

http://www.jcwhitney.com/pro-comp-steering-stabilizers/p3066205.jcwx?filterid=d1634y2003g34j1

I'd also suggest to try increasing the front toe in so its at least 1 degree or 1.5 total

350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer