Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 Montero will operate in Reverse, bit won't go into gear…

2002 Montero will operate...

2002 Montero will operate in Reverse, bit won't go into gear in Drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Original transmission - Is the brake switch just the emergency brake?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just checked transmission level - all is good. Didn't try anything else

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How does this Just answer work?

Could it be the Range sensor?
1/17/2018
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

does it show that its in drive? does the indicator for prndl work?

no, but it never did.

doubt its the range sensor...any codes? hows the fluid? and sediment in the pan?

better pass , looks like this may get expensive.

if your reffering to a phone chat thats site automated and not required and its not me giving those prompts

ok, yes, it kept promptin g me.

ignore it

actually its on the side of a road, so haven't had a chance to check codes yet.
Side note- my Son actually mistakenly drained the trans thinking it was the oil, then he put the ATF back in. and drove it about 30 miles and this happened.
forgot to add .... DOH!!!!
It goes in to park fine, reverse works perfectly, but won't engage in drive.

he smoked the tranny..im sure the pump and the torq converter are damaged...hate to be the barer of bad news but its rebuild or replace the trans at this point

Gotcha - kind of figured so. Thanks

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

john aka eauto