Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

2001 eclipse 3L Plug gaskets were bad, lots of oild pooling…

Customer Question
2001 eclipse 3LPlug gaskets were...
2001 eclipse 3LPlug gaskets were bad, lots of oild pooling in the plug wells. We took off the intake and valve covers and replaced the 6 plug gaskets and the cover gaskets. Won't start.We replaced the plugs. New plug wires. Won't startIt gets spark, it gets gas, but just cranks and cranks.We checked for any missing harness connections, vacuum lines, etc. Can't find anything obvious.What can we check?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/2/2018
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Have you checked the vacuum hoses? Are they all connected and secure? Also, you should check an be sure that the gaps in the spark plugs are not closed. This will definitely cause this issue. Did you suck as much oil as possible out of the plug hole before removing the plugs. If not, the oil usually burns off, but if the plugs are soaked, this could be the issue.

You should also check to be sure that all of the connector connected, as this is a very probable cause. If you can not find anything after visually inspecting the vacuum hoses and connectors, and checking the plugs, then you may want to connect an obd2 scanner to the vehicle to see what the issue is.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We cannot find any missing connectors.We do have an intermittent spark. Could that be the coil?Is the coil built into the distributor?

You are correct. The ignition coil is apart of the distributor. Intermittent spark would suggest that the distributor may beginning to fail. Was this an issue before you replaced the valve cover gaskets?

The issue could also be just the cap maybe loose or damaged. Be sure to inspect this component, also.

Here, I am attaching testing information for this component.

You need to inspect the connectors and the condition of the cap and rotor.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician