Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Replaced the starter, had the battery tested and still it…

Customer Question
Replaced the starter, had...

Replaced the starter, had the battery tested and still it won't turn on. Every couple of tries, the starter turns about a 1/4 turn then nothing. Could the starter relay be my issue? Fuel pump comes on when I turn the key, as well as everything on the dash, so I don't think it's the ignition switch.. need help!

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes, I can turn the wheels, and the key is fairly new

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

07 outlander 2wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced the starter, had the battery load tested, and when tge car was last running, i checked the alternator which was working properly.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
12/30/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like it could be a connection I would double check everything and re torque it, you can verify if the starter is getting voltage by checking both wires at the starter for voltage while someone starts it

I checked voltage at the starter while my wife held the key in the start position. I had 12.1 volts, which is a touch low, but I have been trying to start the car while it's not being recharged.. so the battery is a little drained.

that should be plenty so thats 12v at both wires?

both the large power wire that is bolted down, and the smaller signal wire that clips in

ok so that check out, measure resistance from the starter housing to engine block and see if its ok the ground is the starter mating to the housing so if there is resistance between the starter and that it will cause it, and sometimes you just get a bad starter, happens to me all the time

What should the resistance reading be?

.003 or less, or your continuity setting and it beeps is good too

is it possible that both starters would be doing exactly the same thing? Sometimes the starter turns about a 1/4 turn, but most of the time it does nothing
It beeped when I checked it on continuity, and got a reading of .002

sounds like you just have a bad starter

Could it not be a bad relay? I find it hard to believe that this reman starter is bad, especially when it says clearly on the tag stuck to it that it was triple checked to be in proper working order. I seriously just paid 18 bucks for this?

yes your paying for 20 years mechanical experience instead of taking it to a dealer or shop for 100$'s I think 18 is a good deal for all of my efforts and knowledge, not only that im a 3rd party contractor as well as all the other experts are that uses his own resources and thats not cheap either on my end plus I dont get paid hourly and just get paid by the question when you rate me and if I dont get a good rating I dont even get paid at all, I certainty dont sit at my computer to not earn any money, plus im disabled and this is my only income.

And yes a brand new starter can be bad its happened to me more times than I can count

Don't mean to offend, and I'm sure you are very knowledgable.... but I'm not so sure it is the starter.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, new expert here. If the small signal wire has battery voltage at all times with the key in the start position the relay is not faulty. If you wished to give you peace of mind you could swap it with another such as the headlight or ac clutch to momentarily test it. It's located in the underhood fuse and relay center on the drivers side. There should be a legend on the inside on the cover showing which it is.

Another thing I suggest doing before condemning the newer starter is to take a socket and ratchet to see if the engine will physically turn a complete revolution. Just leave the key off and turn the crankshaft bolt clockwise.

If both of the above check good I would have the starter replaced under it's warranty. It may have bench tested good and bench test good now, but bench testing does NOT place an actual load on the starter, it just shows the drive kicks out to engage and turns, adding a load can change things. It's also not uncommon for remanufactured and even new starters built overseas to be bad out the box.