Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

We have a 2008 Mitsubishi lancer Evo. Apparently it's in…

Customer Question
Hello. We have a 2008...
Hello. We have a 2008 Mitsubishi lancer Evo. Apparently it's in limp/safe mode. No CEL. It got towed to me because the guy tried to replace the alternator but couldn't get it out. I replaced it and tried to move the car but it has absolutely no power obviously. Other wierd thing is, I can completely release the clutch in gear and the engine will stay on yet. I talked to the owner and all he can tell me is that he was driving it one day and it lost boost and it's been in limp mode ever since. Also, with the new alternator, it's only charging 11 volts. The owner can't tell me what kind of mods or anything else that has been done with it. All I see is an aftermarket K&N air intake kit that was custom made for the car and an aftermarket header. Can you please exain further how limp mode effects this vehicle and guide me into resolving this issue. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
12/20/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 2 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

did you scan it ,what are the faults ? you said no cell, what scanner did you use on it , a Mitsubishi capable one or basic code reader ?

release clutch while in gear will keep it running ?

did you do a master reset using a scanner or manually ?

does he have a tuned map on it ?

how does the clutch feel when pressed ?

lets start here and we go from there ?

after alternator replacing is still shows 11 volts ?

click on link to view wiring circuit ? we have few fuses we need to check

let me know if you can view the circuit and we go from there

Ok! Basic scanner and no codes at all. Clutch feels normal as far as I'm concerned. Thought it was the clutch not grabbing on and spoke to him about it then he told me that the car is in permanent limp mode. I'm not at the car now, not for another 2 hours. I thought I'd get a jump on my question before getting there.
No battery light on. It does say "Tarmac" on dash.

okay, we need to start with a master reset, your basic code reader will not get out of limp mode since it can not see the tcm module

make sure battery has good 12 volts and reset and lets go from there

read below how to get back in touch with me in few hrs or anytime u want

i want you to check all fuses with a test light in all fuse box , under hood and inside cab

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

I have a buddy with an expensive snap on and will get with him. In the mean time, can you further explain limp mode please

Limp mode is caused by all sorts of things. It's basically the ecu going into self protect mode as not to damage the motor. Most often too much boost or wrong a/f can send a car into limp mode.

The easiest way to get rid of it, is to clear the code or pull the power on the battery for 30 minutes.now if there is a hard fault that exist, then it will not clear , so try reset but before i would like to read faults codes so we have something to go with

now as far as not engaging in clutch the only thing i can think of is the clutch pressure switch .

Is it possible the by passed the switch thus keeping the engine on?

i never done that , i doubt you can by pass it , it will send a signal to ecu each time you press pedal, so how you going to duplicate that

All fuses are good

ok ,that is good

how about the scan with snap on scanner ?

I won't know until later or tomorrow

ok,lets not reset it ,till tomorrow so we want loose fault codes

let me know i m working tomorrow

Ok. I have the scanner here but unfortunately no codes. But the other thing is, it was reset because we had to disconnect the battery to charge it overnight. What now?

did you touch cables together

was that scanner able to read all subaru modules ?

what was the report showing as modules listed on the scanner that snap on can read

it reads all Mitsubishi vehicles. Do you mean monitors? I can read all modules, engine, trans, airbag, etc.

i will opt out of this time since that is all i know ,other expert will assist you further on it

good luck to you

do not reply back to me since it will lock question back to me and other expert want see it to help you

Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Limp in happens when an engine controller sees a failure, sets fault codes and intentionally limits power. If there are no fault codes set then it isn't in limp in.

What are the actual symptoms you're trying to diagnose?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great finally thank you. As of this point, it seems like there's no turbo boost. Also feels like the clutch is not grabbing at all. I was able to get to grab I constantly pump in the clutch and then when it did is really smells burnt. And now doesn't grab at all. Very weird thing is when the clutch is completely released the car is still on. In gear that is.

The issue that needs to be addressed then is the clutch. There is a mechanical failure, most likely the disc has worn to the point that it can't transmit power. The trans is going to need to come out to inspect the clutch components to see what all needs to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was pretty sure the clutch was an issue but what about the turbo not working?? I don't hear it whatsoever

You don't need to be concerned with what the turbo is doing if you're not driving.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That does t sound like a good answer. That still leaves another issue unanswered. In the meantime, just out of curiosity, if it was truly in limp mode, does it throw a code immediately? I had to take the battery out for half a day to charge it up and have only turn it on to move it around the parking lot? Do the monitors have to be completed for a code to pop up if it's in limp mode?

It isn't going to produce boost if the engine is not under load.

If it was in limp in it would be due to fault codes being set. Fault codes set immediately when there is a failure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anything out of the ordinary to install the clutch?

No, nothing out of the ordinary.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician