Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero(186k mi). I was replacing…

Customer Question
Doug, I have a 2000...
Doug, I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero(186k mi). I was replacing ball joints last week and noticed that the front drive shaft spun when I turned either front drive axle. The transfer case was in 2WD and the dash lights confirm that. I checked the solenoid by having someone move the gear selector to 4WD with the truck running and the front drive actuator moved about 3/4". It returned when the selector was moved back to 2WD. Why is the front shaft turning when hubs should be disengaged?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
Answered in 3 days by:
12/17/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, Technician
Hi name is ***** ***** I am a Automotive expert here at Just Answer.
I Just noticed that your question had not received a reply and thought I would see if you still need help with this.
I'm sorry for the long delay and I hope I can still assist you with this question .
I had seen no one else has replyed and would like to know if I can till help you.
If you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.
let me know by useing the reply tab so we can continue .
Remember in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being in front of it.
Kindest regards Greg.
What you are doing is normal as the drive shaft is only actuated and with the differential not being locked it will freely rotate. Until you lock the differential. If fitted and will only lock in 4LLC .
Need further advice with this issue then please get back to me.
Rgds Greg
That is not norrmal. The front drive shaft should not rotate when in 2WD. This model has a solenoid that engages the front diff when in AWD, 4H and 4L. The rear end of the front drive shaft engages mecahnically with the shift lever.
Hi did you get my last post
Rgds Greg
I did. Did you read mine?
Ok got it is your vehicle a 4WD or 4X4 . This model came with both options.
Greg
2WD, AWD and 4WD(hi and low). Only way this model was offered. Same as '98 and '99. This is not the Sport model.
I fixed the problem. The solenoid was not moving enough. I cleaned and lubed it and it is work properly now.
Okay good work my friend , have a good Christmas and new year .
Rgds Greg
Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician