Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. The headlight reminder…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Mitsubishi...
I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. The headlight reminder chime doesn't work when headlights are turned off. I checked all the fuses and are ok. I researched this and likely cause is a bad ETACS. I got a used one off a junk car and it was difficult to remove.. had to cut wires to the plugs to access get it off. I don't want risk damaging the electrical system on my car taking the old one off and was wondering the proper procedure to remove it. Also, of the Just Answer mechanics, Doug, a Mitsubishi certified technician, wrote that the ETACS doesn't have to be flashed/programmed...want to verify if that is correct.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
I would prefer to get answer from Doug, the mitsubishi mechanic
I would prefer to get answer from Doug, the mitsubishi mechanic.
I would prefer to get answer from Doug, the mitsubishi mechanic. The vin no. is JA4MT31H61P011831
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
12/10/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
That is correct that the etacs does not need to be coded on this model, -however- the remote keyless entry data is stored in it, so in that capacity you would have to relearn your remotes when you change the etacs.
The only thing you need to do when changing the etacs is make sure the part number is ***** the same on both parts.
To change the etacs the plugs are a bit tight and then it releases/unsnaps from the fuse panel; you can play with the donor one you cut out to compare.
With regard to your issue... Double check your driver door pin switch is ok... A lot of the time when you are having issues with the headlight reminder and key reminder it is a result of the pin switch (on the chassis behind a little rubber cover that the door contacts when closed) that had failed. The etacs doesn't see the door operation ago it doesn't know to activate the reminder properly or auto shut off lights etc (depending on how it fails).