Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

P1773 code. P1773, it will not reset. 2010 lancer es. Trying…

Customer Question
P1773, it will not...

P1773, it will not reset.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2010 lancer es

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Lancer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying but i cant get to the actual code

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have reset this code but it will not clear. Battery was dead and then this code set. Cant clear it. Car has no symptoms

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
12/2/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

will check my notes and return with an answer.

You will need a top level scan tool or visit the dealer as this code is just an info report

that you have a possible ABS malfunction OR a problem with the TCM .Transmission Control Module .

Okay so this is what you have to do with a top level scan tool .

Check for ABS malfunction codes ,if you have NO ABS malfunction codes then this means you have a bad TCM which will need repairing or replacing .

IN most cases a simple ABS wheel speed sensor can set off this code so hopefully you do have a ABS malfunction code in the system..otherwise as said you have a possible bad TCM..

Still need help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Peter

1

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I get a slippery warning and the ATS will not cycle. I clear the only current code (P1773) and it comes back before I start to drive the car. Do not have to put it in drive or move. Can the memory be cleared any other way?
basically your answer is take it to the dealer?

Yes as this is a high tech complicated system that needs a high end scanner to see where the fault is . The reason you cannot reset it is because this is what we call a hard code. That means it is an important item that needs to be repaired first before you can delete or reset it. As it is some faults are easy to trace and find the problems , but others are more involved needing advanced tools and scanners to help in the process.

I was looking for more than, "it's complicated and take it to the dealer." And obviously the cause of the code will have to be addressed before the code can be cleared. ESE it will just return. I don't feel you have provided more information than I got from my first Google search. I found a simple YouTube video that explained how to check wheel speed sensors.
You have provided a generic definition of the code and no direction other than go to the dealer. That is not worth .05¢

Generic means this code applies to all makes as this is an OBD code with the same configuration and if you don't use an upgraded scanner good luck.

I said, “generic” not generic code. What you provided was generic information, meaning the result is the catch all take it to the dealer answer which is worthless to me.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be helping you today. im reviewing your question all you need is the description of the code??

Cesar, I have been communicating with peter barley and he is telling me the only information available on the P1773 code is that it indicates an ABS or transaxle issue. I found that information in my first Google search. I am an expert in my field and when I have to tell a customer go to Microsoft, I would be embarrassed to charge them and I would not try to blow smoke at them with fluffy, generic explanations.
What your colleague should have done is guide me through wheel speed sensorn testing or pin outs for the TCM. Instead, his advice was take it to the dealer. That is not worth a nickel. I know I will get charged for this service but I will never give it a favorable review. In this case, totally worthless.
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

i am sorry to hear that. please contact customer support and they will refund your money. if you need anything else feel free to ask. people like that make me look bad

Mitsubishi Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Different expert here,

the p1773 code is setting because you have a fault in the abs system. This is a powertrain code. You said the traction control light is on. That means you have a code in the abs/traction control system. The transmission uses info from the abs system and these modules communicate with each other on a CAN communication network. You don't need a high end scanner. You only need a code reader that is capable of reading abs codes and viewing abs live data.

Something like this would do the trick. http://amzn.to/2BFol6r.

Some auto parts stores will be able to read abs codes for free. Before testing any circuits you need codes.

Causes would be a abs wheel speed sensor, broken wiring, broken tone ring, wheel bearing. Could be an abs module, corrosion in a connector, poor pin fit. Has the vehicle ever been in an accident?