Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I’m getting a squeaking noise from my 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer…

Customer Question
Hi, I’m getting a squeaking...
Hi, I’m getting a squeaking noise from my 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer when I ease off the accelerator or change gear. It also makes the noise when I turn the engine off. Any idea what this could be?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
11/26/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Without more context or hearing the noise iit's quite hard to diagnose the issue here, but believe you may have a belt or engine driven accessory issue. It's very possible that you're hearing the belt squeak due to it being worn, loose, or possibly something leaking onto it.

Does the noise come from the engine compartment?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I don’t think it’s a belt issue as I’ve experienced that before in other cars and it isn’t a high pitched squealing. The noise is more akin to the sort of squeaky rattle you might get from bed-springs. I initially assumed it was a suspension issue but it comes from the engine department. My feeling at the moment is that it may be something loose which is allowing the engine or some component within to move around.Thanks

Does it happen over bumps then?

Going over bumps doesn’t seem to be the aggravating factor, it’s when I change gears, break or ease off the throttle at lower speeds. At motorway speeds or when I’m accelerating or keeping a constant speed there’s no issue

It's going to require some diagnostics in person but I believe you may hearing noise from the exhaust collector pivoting when the engine moves under torque.

Were that the case, is it an easy/relatively cheap fix at a garage?

Yes, most likely.