Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years, diagnostic/repair/ electrical specialist
13677702

How to remove the flat tire from a 2004 Mitsubishi montero

Customer Question

How to remove the flat tire from a 2004 Mitsubishi montero sport. I've jacket it up and removed the lug nuts but the tire won't come off. there';s a clip system that held the plastic cover but I don;t know why the tire won;t come off??? Please advise...
JA: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?
Customer: no Is there something else holding it on?
JA: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've jacked it up and removed the lug nuts. It's still on the jack elevated about an inch above the pavement. But the tire won;t wiggle or move at all
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall. This does happen at times when a wheel has not been removed in some time. The hub of the wheel sticks to the axle persay, You are going to think I am crazy BUT trust me on this, It will Do NO harm and we do in the shop often. Put say 3 lug nuts back on BUT leave them a few turns loose. so basically hand run the nuts on, then? turn them back say 4 -5 turns. Then let jack down, start and put in gear and drive forwards a few feet then backwards a few feet, The wheel will pop freeing NO harm. if it does not work on first try. loosen the nuts a little more. and retry the driving forward and backwards. the ONLy other option is to try hitting inside of the wheel with large firm rubber hammer. The trick I suggest is the best and does work