Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Running lights, fog lights, and HVAC and gear shift

My Running lights, fog...

My Running lights, fog lights, and HVAC and gear shift lights not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know what size fuse it needs?

All fuses are good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2001 Mitsubishi Diamante

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Diamante yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing it myself, I have checked all fuses, and relays all are working just fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

11/21/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do the instrument cluster lights come on when you turn the headlights on?

they do, which lead me to believe the dash ECU is ok. I was wondering if the assist ECU on the passenger side might be the culprit.
The only lights dash wise that dont come on are the center console lights behind all climate controls.

If you remove the taillight relay under the hood, turn the headlights on, are you missing a ground to relay pin 3?

No ground is fine. I should also mention we have been having intermittent problems with the headlights not shutting of automatically when the car is turned off.

Headlights on are dedicated fuses 1 and 2 good and powered by the tail light relay for the running light concern?

I have shaped the tail light relay with the headlight relay as they are the same and it has not fixed the problem. The headlights do turn on and off just fine with the control switch, they just some times will not turn off automatically like they are suppose to when the car is shut off.
I also do not hear any clicking from the running light relay when the running lights are engaged, the headlight relay does click and engage.

Any power on those fuses mentioned?

Sorry for the delay in response. I have no power on those fuses

Since the relay is getting ground to turn it on but the relay is not powering the fuses. Replace this relay and let me know the parking/running lamps result.

I replaced the relay, and I still have no running lights. I also do not have fog lights as well which is a different relay on the car. It seems to be that what is suppose to send power to the relay to trip is not working.

I realize there is more than one issue. I am trying to knock out one by one. Using this diagram can you see why the parking lights are not working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0ncp7kvbwonlz1/parking.png?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Ok Let me dig a little more into this and double check all my findings again with my multimeter. I will be out of town next couple of days and will get back to this on Sunday. Thanks and have a great thanksgiving.

Same to you and no problem

Based on those results the relay is bad or the circuit board inside the fuse box is broken.

I have tried a new relay, along with moving the know relay on the headlights that works as well for a test and that did not fix the problem. I done believe this model had a circuit board for the fuse box, but just wire leads soldered to the sockets, Ill check that to make sure. I am puzzled that its also effecting the fog lights and a few other items as well. This would make me believe it would not be the circuit board, but ill dig into it a bit more. Do you know what item tells the relay to trip, and what sends the voltage change for the relay to trip? Is that the assist ECU? If the assist ECU was going bad would it also make the headlights be intermittent on if they would shut off when the car was shut off? Currently the headlights are hit or miss if they will shut off like they are suppose to when the car is turned off.

The headlight switch sends a ground to the instrument panel ECU and this ECU sends a ground to the tail light relay.