Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

NP Pajero 3.2 Diesel 2005 Auto. When the engine is started…

Customer Question
NP Pajero 3.2 Diesel...

NP Pajero 3.2 Diesel 2005 Auto. When the engine is started it will idle fast, if you depress the accelerator the engine will rev to 3 or 4 thousand rpm and stay there, the only way to stop this is to turn the engine off. This happened after I changed the fuel filter but I am very sure this is not related as there does not appear to be any air in the system. The car will drive OK and will not rev up when in Drive. However if you shit to Neutral or Park it will start revving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Pajero?

2005 as I first said

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pajero yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked all fuses, all OK. If i remove the accelerator wiring the engine will idle, it does not rev up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all at the moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
11/19/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

for the engine to rev up like this with no accelerator then either there's a fault with the pedal sensor or the main pump

if these are OK then its also possible that the engine is running off the engine oil?

The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve

. If this is all OK then its possible that the valve stem seals are past their best and are drip-feeding oil into the intake. These can be replaced without removing the head by a competent garage in half a day or so

Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off

I am pretty sure this is not a engine oil issue i.e running on oil. This problem started with no prior issues. The Pajero has a breather system that feeds crankcase gases back into the inlet side of the engine, I also have an oil catch can that is dry indicating that oil fumes from the crankcase are not a problem. I would be inclined to think more along the lines of engine management inputs and sensors such as the pedal sensor. Pump problems tend to cause rough running, poor idle, loss of power etc. Have you heard of this happening before?
Are you familiar with this vehicle? It does not have a PVC crankcase gases are fed directly back into the air inlet just after the air filter. These engines are known to build up excessive oil and tar in the inlet manifold because of this arrangement. Would a faulty pedal sensor throw up a check engine light or log a code, there is no fault indicated but I did not check to see if there was any codes either.
Nothing to add?

Hello

thanks for the extra information and I'd agree if you have dry catch tank then its unlikely to be running off oil

if you have a code reader then hopefully its one that can do monitoring too? if so then log the pedal position on the scan tool and slowly push down on the pedal with the engine off

the pedal demand will hopefully rise smoothly and slowly with the pedal motion