Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had a new Ecu put in my 99 montero because I was told it…

Customer Question
I had a new Ecu...
I had a new Ecu put in my 99 montero because I was told it was shot only firing 4 coils, I picked my montero up after and the transmission now will not work in drive have to start in low shift to 2nd then put in drive, the button for overdrive no longer works either. Also the moon roof that had no issues no longer works either, the dealership says they did not reprogram the ecu basically plugged in, but don’t think these issues have to do with that, I’m confused how now I have problems with the transmission and overdrive and the moonroof which did not exist when all that was done was the new ecu put in, also they’re saying they can’t program it, that if they got one from Mitsubishi, it comes to them blank and they can program that but not this one, even though they’re all rebuilt because they don’t make them anymore, and the one I purchased was with the exact model number they told me it had to be, so how do they clear out they’re rebuilt one but can’t mine when they’re supposedly the same, only difference is they wanted me to pay 600 for there’s and I got money me for 200. Anything you can tell me thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
As for the ecu I bought they told me I could they told me if the numbers matched the ones they gave me it was fine, but now are saying they can’t program it, when I ask how the one they were getting was going to work they say it comes blank and they program it, I point out they said if the numbers matched it would work fine so why can’t they blank mine out and program it? And when it started before they said it needed the ecu it had no issues at all with the transmission or sunroof etc. why now with just the ecu replaced do I have transmission problems?
11/18/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 8 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok,

eveb though you got the exact number unit, it had another program for another cars VIN. trying to reflash to your car does not always work. thats when you encounter issues. you cannot wipe out the old program. that is done by the pcm manufacturer. this is a chance you take buying a used part. that pcm may have had a failure as well and you could not tell that.

the moonroof has no connection to this repair but trans operation does a connection.

you will need to either get another pcm or get the rebuilt unit that they can program.

Roy

Well when I asked them if I could buy one that is cheaper and use it all he said to me was yes, as long as it has these numbers, ok so that’s what I did, if the one they were buying could be wiped clean and redone, why can’t this one? They are in fact both just rebuilt ecu’s with the same model number which is what he told me I needed.
you said does not always work, they did not try just plugged it in. They said that. So if they can purchase a rebuilt ecu wipe and reflash it why is that not what they do now?

the one you got, was it used or rebuilt??

the rebuild they are getting does not come with a program. they on have to install the program, not wipe anything out.

it sounds like you have one already programmed. thats where the issue lies. they cannot wipe out that flashing just copy over it with the new program. thats where the confusion is

Ok they can copy over it? Or try?

it sounds like they tried according to your response and it did not work. otherwise all functions would be normal.

did they try it a second time???

Roy

They said all they did was install it, the actual ecu they physically installed it in the car. And that’s it, once done the car started, that’s where they stopped. They did not try and install any programming at all

it is a shame they are not helping you here. they have stopped because you brought your own part.

where did you get the ecu from???

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

do you need any other help