Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 mitsubishi montero sport and my alternator is…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 mitsubishi montero sport and my alternator is not charging the system

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have changed the alternator and battery (bought new both) and once i crank the car and take the negative post off it shuts off

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No mam

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
11/18/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are a handful of things that could be going on and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. Disconnecting a battery cable with the engine running can instantly damage electrical components because battery voltage can spike extremely high if it's actually charging, so you'll want to discontinue that.

The alternator is internally regulated so you either have a wiring issue, possibly a blown fuse, or it's possible that you got a bad replacement. Are you hoping to do the required electrical testing yourself?