Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer es speed ometer and transmission not…

Customer Question
second opinion] 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer...
second opinion] 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer es speed ometer and transmission not shifting
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
11/17/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

The code 54 you are receiving could come from one of two reasons.

1) There is an issue with the power supply circuit to the computer. Specifically, a failed fuse or a bad transmission (AT) relay. First thing to check here would be to verify ALL fuses, both in the dash and under hood, and swap the AT relay with a known good relay for comparison. Going beyond that, a power issue after the relay but before the computer or valve body.
2) There is another problem internal to the transmission that is forcing fail safe and setting the code 54 in error. I'll explain below.

Code 54 is indicating that the AT relay is powered off when the ignition is on and should be energized. The AT relay supplies power to the TCM side of the computer and the valve body solenoids. The code sets obviously if there is an issue with the AT relay itself or its power supply, as well as if the power exiting the relay is not making it to its destination in the computer or valve body (wiring etc). However in addition to this there is a communication related scenario where you can have this code set as well. If for example you have a mechanical condition inside the transmission where a speed/ratio does not match as a result of a solenoid improperly firing or hydraulic blockage, this can cause the computer to push the transmission into failsafe.... which it does by shutting off the AT relay. In some circumstances, this can happen so quickly that the engine side will detect the AT relay being shut down faster than the TCM side indicates why it is doing so, and when this happens you get a AT relay (54) failure in error.

The best thing to do at this point is to first verify your fuses and relay as well as look for anything obvious (wiring damage/rodent damage, signs someone has had the transmission apart, leaks etc). If all looks well there, then you will want to get it to a transmission shop with a proper scan tool that can monitor the electrical operation with the transmission relay forced on and see what is going wrong to cause it to go to fail safe.