Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Stalls at idle. quiet when running down. sounds like fuel…

Customer Question
Stalls at idle....

Stalls at idle. quiet when running down hill. sounds like fuel injector rhythems when accelerating. hills seem to aggravate stalling. engine seems to drag. service engine soon light comes on. replaced springs, plugs, and have run fuel injector cleaner with little noted difference in drag or performance. sensor? No fuel filter? failed fuel injector?? ideas- thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Guess ill start there. oem code reader?? craftsman still in box- aplicable

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Mitsubishi Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2007 gallant. few parts or dealers in the area

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Plugs, springs, gas types, fuel injector cleaners,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Driving style has little effect on problem. shifting a little rough - attributed to decreased engine output. lights dim slightly at idle. thks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
11/12/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

This sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.
1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you