Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Endeavor. While recently driving, it began to…

I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Endeavor. While recently driving, it began to lose power. surging in low rpm then stalls. Will start right back up and idle fine for approx 10 secs then begins to lose power and fluctuate within low rpm then stalls. Will dot his when driving or when parked. changes fuel pump assembly, and still has same symptoms. what next?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

No light. I can start car, put in drive and it will run for a bit then begin the symptoms I relayed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Endeavor yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I changed the fuel pump assembly. Did not fix issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The issue came out of the blue. Nothing lead up to it.

10/20/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

are you getting a check engine light on?

nope

Ok few things to check on this, I would start with a MAF clean and throttle body clean with relearn,

there is special MAF spray you need to use on that, you can get it at any auto parts store, I also recommend for the throttle body clean a tooth brush and very aggressive carb cleaner and a towel to wipe out the excess there should be no carbon residue visible when done. After that, unhook battery neg first then pos, touch both terminals together and let sit for 30 mins, re apply pos then neg cables and perform relearn, 10 mins idle no accessories on, 10 mins accessories on and I mean everything in the car that can turn on , then 10 mins in drive with accessories on, turn off and restart and test drive

will do. Please point me in the direction of where I will find each component.

if you take a picture of your engine bay and send it ill highlight all the areas where everything is

i found them. I will report back.

ok sounds good

no you need to do everything, all these things should be performed at least every 30k and im sure its been longer than that or never been done at all so far, and you can take it off but I usually do it with them on the vehicle

where ever the wire is located in the assembly, some have a coil type winding and some are just a wire, should be connected to the part that is red in the first pic

I did everything above let it sit for 30 minutes. Started it up for the first two or three minutes it idles fine. Then about five minutes in it started to lose power almost stalll then come back but it never lost power. Then it went back to normal idle. Now preparing to turn on all accessories
10 minutes in drive. Just keep my foot on the brake?

correct or e brake and chalk the wheels but remain in the drivers seat incase of throttle issues

I forgot to tell you about one other issue I have with my endeavor. The power locks and power windows for the entire car do not work unless the driver side door is completely open. Also the speaker in the door does not work. Again if I open the door all the way the power locks and power windows will function off of my side. If I touch the main cable conduit that goes from the door to the body sometimes that will get it to work when it's not as wide open. Any thoughts on what this could be before I tear it apart to look?

That sounds like you have a broken wire in the door jam protector joint, I would pull that and inspect the wire, its failry common for the wires to break there, hows the car running now?

When you say pull it, what do you mean by that? Yesterday I took the door panel off got the speaker out so I can look in there to see there's really no slack to pull the wires out to build a look at them. I did cut into that tubing at the door hinge to look at the wires for from what I could tell nothing was wrong. I bought I bought a voltage meter today to see if I could text each other wires to see which one is wrong. The car is running great. I also noticed that my positive battery connection was not too tight. My other thought is that when I change the fuel pump but that filter was pretty nasty. Do you think the changing of the fuel pump and the new filter is helping my RPMs feels like it has more get-up-and-go

disassemble the part, un hook it from the mounting points and inspect the wires, And yes the more flow and less restriction you have the better performance will be, so with the boot remove it from the surfaces and pull it back inspecting the wire, move the wires in different directions while operating the systems in question to see if you get any failures

Three wires or broken in the tube between the door and the frame. I was able to loosen up the wire harness enough to splice them all together tape backup the tubing you some zip ties. 100% all electric working now

very nice!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Great help. Thanks again.