Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Keeps shutting off. 2003 Montero 4wd not sport. Replaced…

Keeps shutting off Mechanic's...

Keeps shutting off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2003 Montero 4wd not sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes replaced fuel pump and filter replaced mass air flow sensor also replaced egr valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

Also replaced fuel pressure regulator

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/19/2017
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

ok thanks

Which engine do you have petrol or diesel .

When the engine is running is the check engine light ON or any other warning light.

If you press down slightly on the accelerator can you keep the engine going .

Greg .

Sorry just seen USA so you have a 3.5 or the 3.8L

2003 was when the engines changed to 3.8L but depending on the month

petro check engine light on also the traction control light
its a 3.8

Okay good thank you . you need to get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool .

this tool will check for malfunction codes .

From the codes we will then know what we are up against .

If you don't have a scan tool then i need to know can you keep the engine running so you can drive or does it start then stall and no way can you feather the throttle to keep it running .

Greg

it will stay running if I give it a little gas but then its lt starts tremble and the vacuum actuator starts to flodder and shuts off
p0171 and p0174 are the codes

okay good lean codes .

What tool are you using ,does it have live data .

Greg

I can drive the truck but it shuts off at any red light I hit or when I stop
it has live data

Okay good .

Remove the air intake hose from the throttle body and check if its Gunked up with carbon,

as a very dirty throttle will cause a idle stall.

The MAF should be checked in live data you should have at idle (750 +/-50 rpm have 3.8 gps this is the most common issue for a P0171 and P0174 code .

Greg

Greg

7 out of 10 Montero's that come into my shop with these two codes are mostly a problem with the MAF Mass air flow sensor .

Next would be the intake manifold tuning assembly is leaking and taking in unmetered air .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, iam not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback.

Rgds Greg

its idle at 750 but I don't see gps on my tool
its a new maf may be 2 mo.old replaced it thinking it was the issue but no luck

Most likely say AFS for the live reading .

Greg

If its new then check for vacuum leak .as said down by the intake manifold tuning actuator rod ,with engine running spray Carb cleaner in the area and any change in rpm there is the leak and continue to check the intake gaskets and any other

possible after MAF sensor leaks .

If you find that this is all good ,have good MAF readings then you will need to check the fuel delivery system, low fuel pressure ,fuel regulator ,

Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician
new fuel pump and filter and fuel pressure regulator

Okay if fuel pressure is good, i would now check the injectors

How many miles do you have on this engine .

Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician