Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

After a journey and on my way home, was passing a truck and…

After a long journey...

After a long journey and on my way home, was passing a truck and put foot down to drop gear and engine was dead, dash lights came on and I had to pull over and attempt to restart - after a number of tries engine started but cut out after a short distance. Eventully got home ater numerous cut outs and restarts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Nothing like that - there was a distinct smell of fuel as if flooding and i used a lot of fuel over the final 60 km. When I got home, I checked a high pressure filter that we fitted in line before the engine fuel pump (Gud E16). I changed filter and then checked air filter which was heavily clogged, Cleaned air filter and that seemed to do the job. Next day another 360km and all seemed fine. However after parking for a short time we drove off and motor started dong the same thing, but not quite as bad.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've now changed air fliter but no difference. Motor will run for a short distance and then its dead. Have to come to a stop and then restart - almost feels like there is no fuel in system and only gets fuel when cranking motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really - maybe he has some questions which I can relate to

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2017
350matt
350matt, Engineer

hello

if you have a strong smell of fuel and a lack of power then I'd say its probably not running on 1 or more cylinders?

So I'd suggest the next step is to check that you have spark on all cylinders

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead / coil and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

if you have spark on all cylinders then I'd next do a compression test on all cylinders too as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Spark is fine and compression apparently within 5% of new specs. The car ran perfectly after cleaning the airflow sensor and cleaning the air filter and I did another long trip of 360km and on my return, whilst running in town the problem re-occurred. I then fitted a new filter, the car still had problems for a short while then ran fine. After letting it sit for 30min I drove the car and after 10min the problem started again with the engine cutting out (almost as if running out of fuel). Cranking the engine would get it going again but only for a short distance it would cut out again. Could it be the in tank fuel pump?

Hello

its it keeps starting and stopping then yes it could be a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

and its also worth trying loosening the fuel filler cap slightly as they have a 1 way valve built in to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum. if the valve is stuck the resulting vacuum can stall the fuel pump

Thank you - will try all of the above.

understood just get back to me on this post

The vehicle is in the shop at the moment - Replacing the in tank fuel pump and filter sock, I'm also removing the micro filters on the high pressure fuel pump in the engine compartment as I have an inline filter already fitted in the fuel line prior to the pump. I'm working on the theory that at 194000 km those filters could also be clogged.

quite possibly

let me know how you get on

Pump replaced - filter sock totally fouled up as was the pump housing filter. Replaced in line filter in the engine compartment. All is well - noticed that engine starts a lot easier in the morning now as well.
Thank you for your advice.

Glad to help

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

350matt
350matt, Engineer
350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer