Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Another one:) Can I use pressure washer to wash my engine…

Hi Doug, another one:) Can...
Hi Doug, another one:) Can I use pressure washer to wash my engine compartment.... I just saw the guy at dealership washed it with some kind of degreaser and washed it with pressure washer, I always was scared to wash it with pressure easher... So my question is it ok engine compartment washed with pressure washer?
Also how long should I wait after driving before I wash It.... Should I wait for everything to cool down little bit.....
10/17/2017
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Ras, sorry for the delay.

I would exercise EXTREME caution when pressure washing the engine. Honestly there isn't much you can't do with a degreaser spray and standard hose pressure (no nozzle, just open hose end). I would say the only thing that really benefits from the pressure washer is maybe if you have a white or light color car getting some of the chassis areas that get real dirty (away from the engine) that really need good pressure to clean.

Personally I usually just use a spray and cloth to clean everything except aforementioned chassis areas, then I will use either a pressure washer or garden hose (depending on if I am at home or at work). There isn't any real need for cleaning the engine itself with that sort of pressure.

If you do wish to pressure wash the engine, Use caution around the valve covers as the ignition coils are not 100% weather sealed (due to their location they aren't expected to get more than incidental moisture), as well as the intake to the air filter (plastic opening heading out the front) and the engine PCM and fuse panel (beside the battery and airbox).

Again... really unnecessary though, and can lead to more problems than the small amount of time it saves. Every time we get a new detail guy at my shop they do that 2-3 times before we start making them pay for damaged ignition coils (or distributors on older cars etc) before they realize it isn't worth the risk any more.

I would wait at least 20-30 minutes before washing it... while it is likely "ok" right after you drive it to wash, the exhaust specifically is super hot and introducing cold water (even if from running down if not directed at it) could theoretically cause some of the thinner steel areas to crack from the sudden temperature change. 20-30 minutes will eliminate that risk.

Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks Doug, at last, there is car wash places/self wash has engine decrease function would that work? I don't think it has night pressure maybe I could use those.... Are they moored safer?

I am not aware of anything like that, apart from again using just a garden hose output... and again even that is not terribly safe compared to just not using water over the more sensitive areas (ignition coils, computer, fuse box). The best idea is to use a few rags and a spray bottle of cleaner... if you have heavy soiling like on the frame rails, the cowl (just below the wipers), the cover over the top of the radiator, etc, then that would be acceptable for spraying (pressure washer or garden hose), as those areas tend to get more gunk that is harder to just spray and wipe. For the engine itself though, hand wash should be sufficient in most cases.

Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician