Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Montero Limited and it seems that it wont

Customer Question
shift out of 3rd. Runs...
I have a 2003 Montero Limited and it seems that it wont shift out of 3rd. Runs at about 4200 when going about 55. The diff light is flashing. I jumped OBD port 1 and 4 and it flashed a "31". Do transmission codes flash through that or is that just transfer case related. Additionally, The traction control light, and anti lock light are on. Any ideas? for a short bit it would not shift into reverse.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
It is not feasible to have it towed from it location so I am trying to limp it home about 150 miles. Is that a bad idea?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am confused by that last response. Response through message board will work.
9/24/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

Hello

I don't think you can get the transmission codes through the OBD self diagnostic - usually you need teh manufacturers tool to scan the unit and get them that way

and if will lock in 3rd if it detects a fault so I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

and if the truck isn't heavily loaded and you keep the revs down to 3500 continuous you should be OK to limp it home

Mitsubishi Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer