Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My pajero 2800 td 96 with AT shifts hard sometimes and makes…

Customer Question
My pajero 2800 td...

My pajero 2800 td 96 with AT shifts hard sometimes and makes a kind of pulsating throbbing/almost grinding sound when going uphill especially in HOLD mode

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It sounds like the transmission area but it is also like a vibration. it seems worse with the aircon on and with many passengers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pajero yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is the 2nd transmission. the former one was making a similar sound then broke but i wasnt driving it at the time. its almost as if something 8s rubbing on something.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Egr valve has been cleaned. transmission flushed. its definitely the w9rst on hold mode. not as noticeable on auto.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mitsubishi
there are 3 modes on the AT... Power/auto/Hold... in the power mode it shifts too hard. this is my first pajero so i have nothing to compare with but it doesn't seems as smooth as it should be. in auto its a bit smoother but still seems overly harsh. im wonderjng if i need to rebuild it or what 5he solution might be.
but the more concerning issue is the sound/vibration coming from the transmission (sounds like) when going up steep hills -especially with passengers and with aircon. it seems like it pulsates too. its not a steady noise but it seems like it pulsates at the same rate as with the rocking of the pajero
we live about 400 feet above the highway so have steep hills a lot. i almost wondered if it was coming from the engine but it seems connected to transmissiin and is definitely gets a lot worse in "HOLD" mode.
9/24/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: Jake, Automotive Technician replied 10 months ago
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question.Does the pulsating seem worse under light acceleration? Or worse under heavy acceleration where it shifts down?If the problem is worse under heavy load you need to check the prop shafts to make sure the joints are good before going any further.If the problem is worse under MILD acceleration then torque converter shudder is what your likely experiencing. Sometimes a fluid replacement can help with this.
its definitely under heavy loads.. going uphill with passengers and with aircon. u joints are ok. what other joint would there be?
the pulsation of the sound/vibration matches the swaying of the car.
Where is the vibration felt at? Floor? Steering wheel? Everywhere?
its kind of faint. it feels its through the body of the pajero. seemslike its coming from the transmission area.its a sound but it seems like theres an element 9f vibration or rubbing to it.
Since it's in combination with the swaying, it may be related to the anti-roll bar linkage. When it sways it will also cause the pinion angle to change and the diff and prop shaft will vibrate because of it.
its front to back swaying. not side to side
Front to back would be a rocking or suspension bounce not a swaying. Could still contribute to previously mentioned scenario though.
what would be the solution for ant roll bar linkage?
Repair the linkage IF damaged or replace the end bushings.