Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Vehicle was running fine, came out to started cranked fine…

Vehicle was running fine...

Vehicle was running fine, came out to started cranked fine then all response to the starter went away the dashboard lights flashed constantlay { all of them) and I would get no indication of crank, even the fans stopped working, went out later and same except the battery was near dead. I got a jump and would get power to dash fine but any cranking was very difficult even with new battery and still no start. Best guess is something is shorting

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes seems fuses are fine, if I have new battery it cranks 3 times and goes to solonoid click

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?

2011 ls awd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its in work parking lot, I can get it towed to mechanic but wanted to see if I was missing a common issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all the wealth of info I have at the moment

9/21/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So you have a new battery in it now and it just clicks?

it cranks 2-3 times , cables get fairly warm like it is dragging

bad connection somewhere, bad wire, starter, or something in engine is locking up, what out of that I listed have you checked ?

no burning smalls I can find, it usually spins the engine fast with no issue

so you may have a bad ground or connection somewhere, I would double check starter connections and grounds, pull grounds and clean, reground everything

I have not removed the starter yet, it died in mid regular start crank with no key response not even a click, it did crank again as soon as I jumpered it but 2-3 times then clicks, same with new battery. when i put the key in the dash goes full disco flashing, everything ticks and clicks even the fuel guage pulse's

yeah you got a bad connection somewhere,

Yeah the somewhere is the killer, was hoping this was one of those "yeah endevours have a crappy this and you need to do that " moment

I wish there was,just start at the battery and work your way though the cable system, making sure everything is cleaned and you have good metal to metal contact

Will do, the battery cables getting hot on a new battery start make me think I have a short in the starter

if connectons are good that would be the next place I would look, that thing will be super hot if its bad after cranking

we even tried a battery from a new diesal truck and 3 cranks and a click
Thanks for the advice , appreciate it

sure thing! let me know if you run into any more snags

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician