350matt
350matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons 22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

My 2000 eclipse (3.0l) just died while driving down the hwy

Customer Question

My 2000 eclipse (3.0l) just died while driving down the hwy one night at 70 mph. No sputtering or signs of any sort that would have led even an odor to believe that the car was fixing to be parked for a minute. When i felt the car die and realized that it wasn't trying to come back on i pushed in the clutch and dumped it. Nothing. Not even a tiny bit of hesitation.... this i did a few times in diff gears as we slowed to the side of the road. Absolutely nothing. Tried to start it over and over on the side of the road woke waiting to be rescued by a friend. Checked every relay and fuse. All good. Replaced fuel pump next day, still had to have a wrecker bring it home. It is getting fuel its been determined but possibly no spark. I have 3 codes that come up and have been coming up for well at least a year now but probably longer. They are cam shaft position sensor, crank shaft position sensor, and something about the catalyst efficiency is the last. Please help! My mitsubishi is still stuck in the yard
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Eclipse yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: U can say im doing it myself me and my bf. Like i said we replaced the fuel pump next day, determined it was in fact getting fuel and moved on to it probably being electrical and here we are now. Him and my friend are out there now trying a few things
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Uhhh nope that's pretty much it thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

To get a crank position code then this will definitely stop the engine stone cold so I'd be prepared to replace that with a new part and also check over the wiring for any damage or corroded connections

if this is OK then I'd next check that you have 12V on the ECU fuse with the ignition on

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so what are the chances it may be the timing belt
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

well thats possible

and it would generate a cam position fault too

does the engine still turn over on the starter/ has iit been turned over by hand

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does. They said there was quite a bit of fuel sitting on top of the valves also. But im not sure what u mean by has it turned over by hand
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

hello

when I say to turn over by hand I mean to use a socket wrench on the crank pulley nut to turn the engine

if it turns smoothly over 2 revolutions then you know there's no valve to piston contact and the cam belt should be fine

as the 3.0 V6 is an interference engine so if the cam belt has gone the engine is damaged

So I'd say the next step is to check over the crank sensor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright, last thing i guess, the sparkplugs aren't firing and the distributor and cap, sparkplugs and wires are all very new
Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

If the crank / engine speed sensor is faulty then you won't get any spark at all as the ignition module won't be switched at all

its all sounding like this sensor should be replaced

Expert:  350matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you