Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

Having problems starting, it acts like the battery is dead…

Having problems starting, it...

Having problems starting, it acts like the battery is dead wont turn over not even click when i turn the key, then after a while it will crank right up any suggestions ???

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yer and i bought a new battery and still nothing so i had a tow truck tow it home and later it cranked right up

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It's a Mitsubishi Montero sport 2002 3.5 ltr.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montero Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i usually do all my repairs and I have checked most everything i could think of checking fuses relays wiring

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else

8/18/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The next time it will not crank can you take a 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and with a helper holding the key in the crank position go to the stater and see if you have key on cranking voltage on the Black/blue battery power feed wire as well as the black/yellow crank circuit wire?

Hey Ron my name is ***** ***** I'll have someone go out with me

Okay let start there , I have also enclosed the start circuit wiring diagram for testing reference. If you find you have power on both wires and its not cranking then the starter is at fault. Let check this and let me know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/starter%20Aug%2018.pdf

Ron it's starting now so I'm not sure what to do
Iv'e never had this problem before

Your going to need to wait till the problem is occurring to do you testing . I suspect you may have worn brushes in the starter from the description on the problem you are having but if you can get it to fail and test the circuit as I have mentioned that will verify if in fact that is the case.

the starter hasn't failed before it has always cranked right up and is isn't acting as if the brushes are bad no skip no hesitation no dragging is starts smoothly it has to be something else but if and when it doesn't start I will check the value on the lines

If it will not crank over then that when you need to check the power to the starter while the problem is occurring. That should tell you one way or the other.

Ron I have finished with any questions, the problem was the pig tale wire on the starter solenoid it only had about two strands of wire running through it so I just cut it off and replaced it and it's doing fine now so like IO said it had to be something else other than the starter brushes thanks for trying Ron. Z.

Glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician