Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I just bought a 2001 Mitsubishi e clclipse, the key won't

Customer Question

I just bought a 2001 Mitsubishi e clclipse
JA: What is the model of your '01 Mitsubishi?
Customer: the key won't come out ofthe ignition when the car is in park.
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: yes break lights. Only trouble code is check engine light. It just passed inspection before I bought it, although it still needs emissions
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not handy with cars. If it's very easy to do I could manage. the girl I bought it from showed me how to get the key out, but I've only made it work twice and it seems hard on the car. You essentially have to slam on the break and the gear shift when you put it in park. She made it look easy, but...
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it I think
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

This most likely means the shift interlock cable has stretched out and needs to be replaced. It is a 1.5 hour job to have replaced at a shop and the cable costs around $100 so you are looking at round $250 total. If you push shifter up into park hard then that will usually allow key to be rotated off and removed, it doesn't need to be slammed into park, just pushed hard. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.