Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech
Experience:  Automotive instructor at Porter and Chester institute
14457476

Something with my ECM i have gone through 3 of them. 1998,

Customer Question

something with my ECM i have gone through 3 of them
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 1998 , 2.0 non trbo man trans
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just starting to work om it
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just ordered a rebuilt one and it didn't work wa told to check 5 volt reference
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 months ago.

Hi welcome o just answers my name is ***** ***** you tell me the reason as to why you think is the computer that has the problem, have you check for a good power and ground supplied to the computer?, does the engine cranks and starts?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not think it's the computer the car cranks but will not start. Something is burning my computer's up I went to the junkyard pick one up plugged it in ran for about 3 hours turn the car off when in the house came out to get the trouble codes off of it my code reader would not connect try to start the car back where I started it would crank would not start has not started since I bought a rebuilt etm put it on and that one didn't work at all so the guy told me to check my 5-point reference and that's what I'm trying to do because I want them to refund me my money because I think dirty ECM isn't working but I have had this problem for over a year I have put 3 ECM on this vehicle and they always go in the same problem I was told it could be my fuel pump solenoid but I'm not familiar with where that is do you have any clue what could cause this.

ok yes do you have a multi meter ? we can check for 5 volts right now if you want.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have one

ok at the throttle disconnect the Throttle position sensor and connect the meter red lid connector to any wire on that connector side with ignition key on. Then connect the black lead to any ground on the engine side, put your meter to read DC volts and see what voltage you get touching all the wires with the red lid.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The yellow wire reading is 2.43 the blue and red wire 4.98 the middle wire that is black and green is 0 .01 I had my multimeter set to the volts 20 or should it be 200 milli amp

yes that's 200 millis that computer is doing its job, does the engine light stays on when you turn the ignition key to on position and then goes out after 3 seconds?

have you try communicating with the computer using your scanner?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Check engine light turns off after 3 seconds I turn the key on and put my head on there and I'm having the same problem as I did in the beginning failure to connect I have attempted to scan 3 times

ok if the light goes on and then off it means is working but your scanner is not seen the data possibly do to diagnostic connectors communication wire shorted or open.

it can also be the scanner, have you try your scanner with another vehicle to see if it reads data?

lest check for spark and fuel to the engine do you know how to do this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Our checks Tanner with my truck and it read the codes off of it but no connection with the computer what is reading on my car and no I'm not familiar with how to check the spark and fuel I replace the coil pack months ago but it's run once since then

what codes are you getting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got we're not off the car I checked the scanner to see if it was working with my truck and my scanner is working I have no codes from the car with the bad ECM
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Check the connector at the coil pack I Had No 5 volt reference there

ok the connector to the coil should have battery voltage on one wire the other wire is control signal from the computer check for battery voltage with the meter key on.

control side of the coil is not supposed to be battery voltage, is supposed to be a ground signal send by the computer when it sees a good cam and crank signal.

when the 5 volts side of a sensor is shorted do to wires or sensor internally shorted.. The computer will lose its 5 volts reference signal to all the sensors that's why you needed to check the 5 volts at the TPS sensor that means there are no sensors causing this problem, so the problem must be spark or fuel delivery.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok so how do we check the fuel and Spark delivery

first can you tell me the model of your mitsubishi

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1998 Mitsubishi eclipse 2.0 nonturbo manual trans

ok lest first check the fuse to the diagnostic connector , this is fuse 11 and 8 on the fuse box check for power with key on

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Under the dash or under the hood

outside engine compartment

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
According to the owner's manual the number is ***** 10 amp for meters and the 11 fuse is a 10 amp for the ELC-4 these are located under the dash. Under the hood 8 + 11 uses are 4 stop lamps 15 amp fuse and the 11 is tail lamps a 15 amp fuse. So I will check for voltage to the fuses under the dash correct?

sorry i guess my data is wrong yes please do check inside the vehicle with power on

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It better to use a Multimeter to check this fuse or trouble light if multimeter what am I looking for number wise and what would be the setting you on the multi-meter

ok yes you can use the meter set your meter to read DC volts, connect the black lid to a good metal ground on the body and with the red touch each side of the fuse top terminals see if you have 12.5 across the fuse with ignition key on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not get 12.5 I got 11.99 across all of them

ok check the voltage to the battery see if you get 12 volts there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yes12 volts on the battery

that's ok voltage drop of 600 millivolts is acceptable. this test means the computer is communicating through that fuse but is the power getting to the diagnostic connector ?

open this page on your browser this is a picture of the diagnostic connector on your vehicle this is where you connect your scanner we need to check for power on pin 16 ignition key on. http://www.remmington.info/16pin.jpg

same way you check the fuse

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
11.8 and I think I do get power because my scanner is powered by the car when I connected it Powers up

ok good now Check for good grounds on pins 4 and 5 of the DLC.

leave the red wire connected to 16 and with the black lid touch pin 4 first then 5 see if you get the same reading on voltage there.

if ok then lest check comunication wires to the scanner this are pin #6 and #14 see if they have 5 volts connect the black lid to a good ground and the red lid touch the terminals ignition key on

confirm that for me and then we go in to the coils primary circuit .

are you there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm here 14 and 6 checked out all of them checked out
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do we check the coil primary circuit

ok give me a minute

do you have a single coil on each cylinder or one coil with 4 output ignition wire going to the plugs?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a 1 pack coil with four leads coming from it to the spark plug

ok how many electrical wires do you have at the harness connecting to the coil? 2 or 3

check for voltage on one of those wires with ignition key on

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have three
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have three wires what should my multimeter be set to 20 volt 2 volts or 200 milliamp

20 volts

let me know what wire has close to battery voltage one of the 2 side wires or the center ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Black lead wire grounded to battery red lead wire in all three ports no reading
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can wire no reading black and red wire in the Middle .01 and black and blue wire .01
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just retested the black wire with the blue stripe tested at .58 the other two didn't change
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Checked it a third time and none of them are close to the battery voltage
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you there
Ok there is a problem there with the primary circuit is missing the power to the coil we have to check why I am driving right now I'll get to my computer in about one hour if you want to continue tonight or we can continue tomorrow morning
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey I just received your last message at about 7 this morning and I will not be free till later on and I run into the weather trouble I'm in Kentucky and it's pouring the rain right now

no problem ill be on and off thru out the day and night just coming any time you ready.

paste this address to your browser we are going to need it later this shows the wiring to the coil and where power comes from. http://www.srsplatform.com/webservices/Srs.WebPlatform.WebServices.FileManager.svc/POX/Get?project=OemContent&sessionTokenId=219f2056-2d83-40c2-b09c-ddab07c5fef8&file=OEDocs/17702/html/images/F24S_M20590AL_00487.png

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you have time i have break in the weather
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Was hoping you was around when is a good time for you
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 2 months ago.
We can try right now if you want or tomorrow morning 9 am
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We can try now so what next
There are 2 primary circuit controlling the coils spark output and one is the 12 volts power in put if you don't have 12 to one of the wires must likely to be the center wire then the ASD relay is not allowing this voltage to flow to the coil
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ASD?
sorry disregard the last 3 messages
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so what next
If you have the old switch you can put it back on and see if the right side functions this way you know you have a bad multifunction switch
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The old coil put it back on
Sorry the site must be down apparently putting answers on the wrong page give me a couple of minutes to fix this problem

ok lest try now . as i was saying before There are 2 primary circuit controlling the coils spark output and one is the 12 volts power in put if you don't have 12 to one of the wires must likely to be the center wire this power comes from the ASD relay automatic shutdown relay i send you a link before showing you the wire harness that links the coil to the ASD relay

locate the relay and in the connector check for 2 powers with a multimeter look at the relay pins they ha numbers on each pin 2,4,6,8. match the pin to the conectors slot and check for power on pin connector 6 and 8 with the ignition key to on position.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you saying check the pins on the PCM the pins that connect to my module
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No power on 6 or 8 according to the diagram you sent me
Ok there should be power on both if there is none then you have a circuit breaker burnt out or a main fuse burnt check all the fuses and the circuit breakers if that's ok then we have to check if you have a bad ignition switch
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All fuses are good under the hood and under the dash

did you check the relay socket #6 and 8 ... not the PCM. the relay is to the lower left of the picture

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is that figure a6 a 32 or figure a 69. Because I'm not quite sure where the relay I'm looking for is at. Does it sit on the firewall I have two that sit on the firewall and they had power to them what I'm thinking would be the number eight socket in figure a 69 if that is the correct one I'm I'm looking at
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I checked both relays if they are the right ones they number eight slot both have 12 volts power according to the diagram the number six lot has none on both but directly across from the 6 slot the number for slot on both has 12 volts of power

ok good let me check the circuit and get back to you.

OK we are talking about the ASD relay right? pin 8 and 6 on top of the relay should have battery voltage

if you have power on both then lest check for ground to the relay, confirm the power before we continue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I have two relays I'm looking at I do not know which one of them is the aSD I think one of the relay is for the fuel pump the number 8 pin on both of these two relays has power what would be the number 6 pin by the diagram on both these two relays has no power but the number 4 pin on these two relays has 12 volt power with the 8-pins having 12 volt power too
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These are the two relays I'm talking about I don't know if they are the right ones these are on the firewall

ok let me look at location and get back to you in minutes

http://library.alldatapro.com/alldata/LIB~C32117~R0~OB0~P4R0H~N/0/56775861/62706906/62706919/62706920/34853741/34857029/34857030/34857434/34857446/78734609/78695436

ok the left one is the fuel pump relay and the right one gray connector is the ASD relay

OK lest work with the ASD relay you are suppose to have power at #6 and 8 if you missing #6 power then run a jumper wire from #8 to 6 and see if the relay works

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay according to the diagram that you sent me looking at the relay I turn the page around so that the two notches on the diagram represent the clip on the front of the relay that would mean number eight would be in the back number 6 would be on the left side of this relay number 6 has no power but number for has power could this be the wrong way to look at the diagram. Or does the number 4 Port have power as well

go by the wire colors red should be either black and red or brown and red and the other should be black or brown with white you can also send me a picture of showing the wires

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
12 volts - 6 & 8 black and white wire

OK so you have 12 volts on both wires?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

OK see if the relay has output voltage at number # 2 WHEN CRANKING THE ENGINE.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had voltage at the start went down .01 while cranking relay click while attempting to start

ok is the battery fully charge?

can you get another relay because the output on that relay is suppose to be 12 volts

you should have 12 volts key on and cranking

OK check the other wire on 4 see what you get?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay I will do that but I will have to get back to you tomorrow with the answers

no problem tomorrow will be fine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I will check pin number for do you want me to check that with the car being crank
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got nothing while cranking

sorry i am at work i will talk to you tonight .

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a quick question did you want me to check the relay connected to the wiring harness or disconnect the wiring harness and check the terminals the relay plugs into

the terminals the relay connects to,you should have 12 volts key on and cranking

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you available tonight

yes i am

Disconnect the ASD relay. The relay is mounted to the firewall near the master cylinder.
Jumper the Black/Red wire to the Red/Black wire at the ASD relay. If the fuse blows, the Black/Red wire is shorted to ground. This wire goes to the O2 sensors, the ignition coil, the injectors, the alternator and the PCM.
Unplug the 10-pin connector near the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve to see if the short is gone. In this connector there is a Red wire that goes to the alternator. This wire is spliced to the Black/Red wire at the joint connector under the fuse/relay box. Check that the harness is not rubbing against the EGR valve.

http://www.srsplatform.com/webservices/Srs.WebPlatform.WebServices.FileManager.svc/POX/Get?project=OemContent&sessionTokenId=282a9985-a6e7-43f4-8cb9-80bf730852db&file=OEDocs/17702/html/images/F24S_M20590AL_00491.png "copy this to your browser it shows the asd relay circuit control circuit."

this problem can also be the 02 sensor heater circuit shorting out the voltage to the asd relay that's why you are loosing cranking power to the asd Turn the key off. Disconnect both of the O2 sensors.
Try to start the engine. If the engine starts, the problem (short) is gone. Reconnect one device (devices that connect to the ASD relay) at a time until the fuse blows. The device that blows the fuse is the one that has failed.

disconnect both 02 sensors if equipped with 2 sensor.

Hi any luck with your vehicle , did you read the last mail i send you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got all the last messages I have not had a chance to look at my car last few days
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay I started with removing the ASD relay and jumping the red and black wire to the black and red wire I did not notice any fuse that blowed I then checked the 10 pin connector by the, EGR valve I disconnected the O2 sensors the top sensor I disconnected the bottom sensor had been ripped the wires out of it so I separated before wires so they were not touching anything else and attempted to start and still no spark it would seem so right now I am going to wait to see what you think could be wrong next but I have to go to bed leave me a message check on my fuses again it's like I'm not getting any Spark I hear my fuel pump kicking on and it's like I'm not getting any Spark I do have a spark tester that I can put on the spark plugs crank the engine and it should light up if their Spark I could try that
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By the way the link you sent me I could not get it to work it said there was a server error
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey are you free to help me tonight
I will, at the moment I am handling personal matters but I will be able to help you today in or about 2 hours I'll contact you when I get home
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good . Hey would texting be easier for you

Hi lest continue.

ok reading the pass mesage you left me about the 02 sensor wires broken, did you leave both 02 sensors disconnected to do the spark test? because connecting one at the time is not going to work you have to disconect both.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
both disconnected still no start

ok leave them disconnected, let me review the pass history we had on diagnostics and get back to you with a different approach to this problem, we are still concentrated on the relays because the problem is around there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i think i am getting no spark to the coil

ok now that you know where the asd relay is next to the fuel pump lest check for power by disconnecting the relay and checking for power at the socket.

the coil gets power from the asd relay if the relay is not good this will happen but first we need to check for power to the relay with key on.

. Check the power on the Black/Red wire at the coil while cranking. It should be battery voltage.
Check the power and control at the Auto Shut Down (ASD) relay. The Red/Black and Black/White wires should be battery voltage and the Red/White wire should be 12 volts and drop low when cranking, the Black/Red wire should be 0 volts and then go to battery voltage cranking.
If the Red/White wire does not drop, check the powers and grounds at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay black wire with red stripe when cranking only get on the voltmeter .02 not 12 volt
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have 12 volts on the red black wire the black white wire no voltage on the red white wire while cranking
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the black and red wire I get .15 on the multimeter and it drops down when I'm cranking
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Correction black red wire has .6 and drops when I crank the engine I went back double-checked it and it did have some voltage but it and it dropped when I crank the engine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I went back and double-check the black red wire to the coil I have .25 volt and drops while cranking the ignition down to .0 6

so they all have less then one volt?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I also went back to check my 5 volt reference this time I tried it on the camshaft sensor I'm not getting 5 volts one while I'm getting 3.2 for the other wire I'm getting 2.75 and the middle wire I get nothing 0. Could this be the problem

ok copy this to your browser and open it you will see the asd relay to the left and the wire colors we are talking about notice"RED AND BLACK" wire thats the main feed to the relay and that's the one that has the problem. http://www.srsplatform.com/webservices/Srs.WebPlatform.WebServices.FileManager.svc/POX/Get?project=OemContent&sessionTokenId=707d98fd-dbd3-4690-93e2-2b9e5ce72b11&file=OEDocs/17702/html/images/F24S_M20590AL_00487.png

let me back track on that wire to see where it goes to.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

ok you need to go and check all the fusible links on the fuse and relay box located outside the engine compartment there most be one burnt out that's what feeds the relay fusible link #4

http://www.srsplatform.com/webservices/Srs.WebPlatform.WebServices.FileManager.svc/POX/Get?project=OemContent&sessionTokenId=707d98fd-dbd3-4690-93e2-2b9e5ce72b11&file=OEDocs/17702/html/images/F24S_M20570AL_00401.png

http://www.srsplatform.com/webservices/Srs.WebPlatform.WebServices.FileManager.svc/POX/Get?project=OemContent&sessionTokenId=707d98fd-dbd3-4690-93e2-2b9e5ce72b11&file=OEDocs/17702/html/images/F24S_M20570AL_00402.png

http://www.srsplatform.com/webservices/Srs.WebPlatform.WebServices.FileManager.svc/POX/Get?project=OemContent&sessionTokenId=707d98fd-dbd3-4690-93e2-2b9e5ce72b11&file=OEDocs/17702/html/images/F24S_M20570AL_00405.png

let me know if the fusible link is ok. if it is then is the fuse box.

fusible link box is located by the air filter box.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All all fusible links under the hood are good and I switch them around just in case one was burnt out and I didn't know it but they all are good I checked the black and red wire again to the coil pack this time I made sure everything was plugged back in The Wire shows 4 vote and drop down to point two
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All links are good and the fuses under the hood all checked out good