Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mitsubishi

The gear shifter is very stiff i can move it in reverse

Customer Question
drive backwards and can also...
The gear shifter is very stiff i can move it in reverse drive backwards and can also get it to neutral but it wont go into the driver position its very tough moving it back into park as well
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: the gear shifter can move when i press the brakes but its very stiff when i move it and it wont go all the way down into park
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2002 mitsu montero ltd
JA: Are you fixing your Montero yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i want to try to fix it myself i havent tried anything yet it moves in reverse just fine but is very very stiff and wont go into drive
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it for now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mitsubishi
1/9/2017
Mitsubishi Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be a few things. It could be in the shifter itself but that wouldn't be very likely. The problem could be in the transmission also, but the most likely cause for this would be the shift cable.

What you'd want to do is either remove the cable from the shifter or trans and then see if the shifter moves normally. If the shifter moves ok with the cable disconnected from it then that rules the shifter out. If it moves ok with the cable disconnected only at the trans then the problem is in the trans. If the shifter moves ok on it's own but is stiff with the cable attached, but the cable not attached at the trans, then the problem is the cable. Any time you're dealing with the shift linkage and working under the vehicle you'll need to have the emergency brake set and/or the wheels chocked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you please provide instruction as to how/where to disconnect the shift cable from both the shifter and the transmission? Thanks

Have you located where the shift linkage attaches at the transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no i havent. can you provide an image of what I am to look for or describe it in detail for me?

I'm unable to post material from the service information due to copyright.

Remember that the vehicle can roll if the emergency brake and/or wheel chocks aren't used.

Slide underneath and look at the left side of the transmission. You'll see a rod on the left side near the front with an arm mounted to it with a nut, the shift cable slides over a stud on the end of the arm. This is where you want to disconnect the cable from the arm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, that is how to disconnect it from where it connects with the trans but you also mentioned to try and disconnect it from the actual shifter...where/how do i do that?

Take it one step at a time.

If you have to remove it at the shifter then you need to remove the center console.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
UPDATE: The gear shifter moves very loosely but doesnt engage in any gear. I cant put it in park nor neutral and cant start the vehicle. I was last able to put it in reverse and actually reverse but not any longer. Please advise.

You never removed it from either end then? If it's moving freely now then it has popped off from either end or the cable broke from forcing it. You'll need to start by seeing if it's attached at the trans.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician